Ford Ranger Forums banner

Which ignition coil do you think?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so im gonna get a new and more powerful ignition coil pack so that my 9mm spark plug wires can be used the way they were designed to and so these plugs can be gapped a lot more.

Im stuck between getting the Accel pack or the Screamin Demon pack. Heres the sites to each one...

Accel:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/140035/10002/-1

Screamin Demon:
http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_39&products_id=190&zenid=25feff7da3e62fd99041dbfcf8ace549

The Accel is $83 and I can get the Screamin Demon for $91 on a different site. Did anyone have any experience with either one of these ignition coil packs or heard good and/or bad things about either?

Please vote on the poll and let me know what you think. Im leaning towards one but ill let you know what im thinking after a few votes. And im trying to order this in the next day or two so post up!!!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I've heard great things about the screamin demon packs... What brand wires do you have? I always try and match my parts for some reason... LOL

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wires are JBA 9mm wires... no coil packs from them go on the ranger. I have just heard decent things about Accel but not much of anything from screamin demon. plus accel is yellow! lol

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I've heard great things about accell also. You should be fine either way, but wait for a couple more comments before deciding... I bet Tom or Plumcrazy would know more about it. You should shoot them a PM!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ignition coil pack is the last bolt on upgrade im wanting to do to this engine before I get the tuner and tunes. Figure this will be about $90 and then the tuner later on in the year will be about $400. Then ill get back to appearance and all.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
ok to start off accel as been around alot longer and i have it on my 5.0 in my 58 right now and love it however i have heard some good things about the SD parts and the yellow wont really be that noticable

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, since something came up 6 months ago and I didnt get the coil pack im gonna finally get it. I got $200 from family for christmas and unless I find anything tomorrow when we go out shopping, I will be getting one of the coil packs.

6 months later and Im still up in the air about which one I want. So if theres any last comments before later on tomorrow im gonna flip a coil on it! hahaha :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
i have an accel canister style coil on my b2. (i needed to get a canister coil for the duraspark) before i did the swap i put the coil on 1st just for kicks and it gave a noticable power gain. as for the screamin demon, i haven't even heard of them til this post. on a lighter note, the sticker that came with the accel is crap. it faded really bad after on a couple months.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered a Accel coil pack for Ol Yeller!!! Should be at my house when I get back on Tuesday or Wednesday!

Im sure it will find itself at home with the 9mm JBA spark plug wires already on the truck. Just got to remember to regap the spark plugs so that it can fully use the new power coming from the coils!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
o ya hey bro dont forget to reset the gap to fully use the new power of the coil

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup! Accel didnt put it on their website but im assuming that the regap will be similar to the scremin demon pack's 0.065.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
if they have about the same output (sd/acc) then ya its prob the same

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea it will probably be right about the same. 0.06 would be a safe gap.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
me either! and I cant wait to feel it and see some mpg changes like everyone has reported with it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
o just like the good old days me and you post whoring like we still own the place lol

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha back to how it was in the beginning. :D :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts