Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so i decided to do a quick write up for people who want to tint their tails.

Legality - This has been a long debated issue over the issue of this being legal or illegal, as for myself, this is my second truck witht the tails tinted, never has a problem, even had a cop behind me today, and didnt get pulled over.

Products - VHT NITESHADE, Painters tape, News paper. Instead of buying already tinted tails from ebay for ~70 bucks, why not do it your self for way less money and the ability to control how dark you go?

Process - Prep is key, so be sure to clean of your lights well with soap and water, or windex. Tape off and Newspaper the surrounding area, if you dont want to just take the lights off all together. Now, just lik using normal spray paint, use the VHT in a few light coats. I did about 3 light/medium coats and they turned out great! Its also helpful to have a buddy with you while doing this, so you can see how bright the brakes shine through after every coat. Space the coats out, and let the previous one dry so you can see truly how dark it is. After you've gotten it as dark as you want, let it dry forawhile, i let mine dry over night, and you should be good to go! You have just tinted your taillights! ;D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Tinting "Smoking" Taillights

Ive been wanting to do this to mine a lot!!! What % tint is on yours???

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

Its like normal tint so it will dim the amount of light that comes through but it just depends on how much you put on... I origionally thought he used window tint, not the spray tint...

I want to use the window tint so that I can pull it off with ease if I start to get in trouble for it... the VHT stays on for good... with window tint, you pick the % you want, spread the tint tightly on it, push it in the groves a little if the taillights have them, and then take a hair dryer or some warm air to get it to get a tight fit by shrinking it on... using tint will allow you to take it off very easily.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts

very good writeup! I helped a buddy of mine do this a few years back and his still look great!

L

·
0 Posts
I tinted the taillights on my Tahoe and have never had any legal issues with them.

The nightshades spray tint will dry in a flat finish. You can use a good, gloss clearcoat to make them shine!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I live in Virginia... auto law nazis are in this state!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Virginia Beach. Virginia is very conservative with automoblie laws so its gay. Even the tint laws are worse than PA and NY even though we are furthur south!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ughh i knoww, MI is bad too, no tint at all on the fron windows :( bumming me out!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
super duper gay! Tint is too badass to be illegal! lol

·
Registered
711 Posts
i did mine this summer. haven't had any cops pull me over yet. if they do i have a legal set of lights in my truck. ;)

·
Registered
711 Posts
does anyone know who makes the flat black tail light paint? the othe day i was behind a totally murdered-out flat black MR2-spider (looked sick) and he had flat black tailights!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
RICO9 said:
does anyone know who makes the flat black tail light paint? the othe day i was behind a totally murdered-out flat black MR2-spider (looked sick) and he had flat black tailights!
"The nightshades spray tint will dry in a flat finish. You can use a good, gloss clearcoat to make them shine!" quoted from lostro76 in this thread.
My parents used a flat clear coat in their photography studio, might use that or similar over regular spray tint.
Richard

·
Registered
711 Posts
alwaysFlOoReD said:
RICO9 said:
"The nightshades spray tint will dry in a flat finish. You can use a good, gloss clearcoat to make them shine!" quoted from lostro76 in this thread.
My parents used a flat clear coat in their photography studio, might use that or similar over regular spray tint.
Richard
i used vht nightshade on my tail lights and it doesn't leave a flat finish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts