Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im getting a new ranger, its an 87 4x4 auto v6, she has black bumpers, and shes all black with like some orange and red pinstriping going along the body line in the middle of the truck, and on the fender where the ranger badge is its like 3 ponys almost like the mustang symbol, she hs blocks but they look like theyre 3", would the front coils have spacers if shes an stx? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I know on the 93-94 models, you sould tell by the fact that they had a 4x4 grill and custom graphics (usually purple stripes and purple "stx" on the tailgate)

The 95-97 just had the stripes and the "stx"

I would assume the older models would also have some form of graphics, but exactly what, I'm not really sure!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You might see something on my race truck build, near the beginning. I started out with an '87 stx. I'll take some more pics of the front this weekend.
Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alwaysFlOoReD said:
You might see something on my race truck build, near the beginning. I started out with an '87 stx. I'll take some more pics of the front this weekend.
Richard
awesome, thanks alot bud id appreciate it

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thankns guys nd i dont think shes an stx now and if she is just the normal ranger is it true that i can just put on 2wd ranger coils(from an 88) and it will level her up?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Negative. 4x4 coils are only 1/8" shorter than 2wd coils. I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure they are all the same spring rate as well. The 4.0's and super cabs may be a squeak stiffer to accommodate the extra weight.

-PlumCrazy

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, thanks bud. and btw do u think an arc 220v would be ok for welding 1.5" angle together to make a flatbed frame?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The 220 arc should be fine but I don't know about the angle iron. Depending on how much weight is on there you should think 2x3 or 2x4 box tube. I am not a welder by trade so others can probably give better info.
Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was looking at another ranger on another forum and he used 1.5" angle iron for a frame and welded supports across it on the bottom and put 2"x6" board on it

·
Registered
559 Posts
Its all about the quality of the weld. A flat bed can be made from damn near anything. I recommend using two pieces of 2"x2" box or 3" channel running parallel with frame at the same spacing, then welding 2" channel across those for cross members (every 16" or so) then laying 1/8" diamond plate on those, or boards, then framing the whole thing with 2"x2" angle. The back plat, and headache rack can be made however. I would use 2"x2" box for the headache rack, then using the same material you make the floor with to build a front plat that goes up to the bottom of the rear window.

Ill grab a few pics of our 87 Ranger with a flat bed.

-PlumCrazy

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PlumCrazy said:
Its all about the quality of the weld. A flat bed can be made from damn near anything. I recommend using two pieces of 2"x2" box or 3" channel running parallel with frame at the same spacing, then welding 2" channel across those for cross members (every 16" or so) then laying 1/8" diamond plate on those, or boards, then framing the whole thing with 2"x2" angle. The back plat, and headache rack can be made however. I would use 2"x2" box for the headache rack, then using the same material you make the floor with to build a front plat that goes up to the bottom of the rear window.

Ill grab a few pics of our 87 Ranger with a flat bed.

-PlumCrazy
thanks man thats a good idea, i appreciate all your help ill probably do something like that because it needs to be able to support a skidoo and quads and dirtbikes etc

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
alwaysFlOoReD said:
The 220 arc should be fine but I don't know about the angle iron. Depending on how much weight is on there you should think 2x3 or 2x4 box tube. I am not a welder by trade so others can probably give better info.
Richard
OOPS, I was thinking trailer. Guess I should read the post :D
Richard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts