Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lifted the rear of my truck by using Chevy 64" leafs. They came off a 95 Chevy 1500 4x4. I got around 6-6.5 inches of lift with the 64" springs and 2" shackles

I replaced all the spring hangers when I swapped springs since mine where pretty crunchy to begin with.

They are around six inches longer that the stock springs, so when moving the front hanger foward you can reuse the front lower hole (because the bottom hole are 6"s apart.)

The rear cabmount interferes on a Supercab Ranger and must be cut to clear the hanger.(I used blue paint to show where the hanger will be located)

I welded a piece off metal between the mount and the frame to provide support for the bed.

The top front hole will have to be relocated because the original hole will miss the frame.

I used 2" lowering shackles for a Chevy.(since the hangers are flipped on a Ranger the drop shackles will give lift)

A new p-bracket will have to fabbed since the old bracket mounted to the hanger.

before

after

-plumcrazy

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Re: 64" Chevy Spring swap

haha! Man, you keep writing all these things up, I'm gonna have to create a tech section! ;D

Sticky!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I got around 6-6.5 inches of lift using the chevy springs, ext shackles, and stock block (I plan on getting some chevy 4" lift springs to get rid of the block and level it when I put on the 8" lift up front). It rides like stock, but flexes out awesome. It tows like the 1/2 ton truck they came off of.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

BADINTEN said:
being as its a full size truck you pulled them off of they should tow more cuz your truck weighs less
How well a truck tows all comes down to how well you can stop. With 4 wheel disc it stops pretty good.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

BADINTEN said:
its more then just stopping
I know it is, but if you cant effectively stop a load, then you shouldnt be pulling it. A Ranger is a small truck and isnt made to yank 12000 lb loads around.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts

Looking good so I take in order to do this you need to lift the fron too??? I got 6 inches in the front and 2 in the back and I was hoping to do a lil more to the back to bring it up. But the problem is it has a body lift "i bought it with it on" and i want to meet the back to match the heigth in the front.

·
Registered
753 Posts

There are many ways you can adjust the rear for cheep, and you wont even lose ride comfort on some. You could use longer shackles, or a lift block. Is it 2 or 4wd?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

gerald1488 said:
Looking good so I take in order to do this you need to lift the fron too??? I got 6 inches in the front and 2 in the back and I was hoping to do a lil more to the back to bring it up. But the problem is it has a body lift "i bought it with it on" and i want to meet the back to match the heigth in the front.
I have a 6" lift up front. to level your truck you could use blocks, AAL's, ext shackles, lift springs, or Chevy Springs.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts

It would be a lot easier...

·
Registered
753 Posts

Well with the 2wd ones you can go to the junk yard and get a block out of a 4wd one. Or you could do what i will do and get some chevy drop shackles or something ask rngrdanny.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts

I would agree with going for blocks if you currently dont have any...

If you really dont want to spend much money, go for a 2" block and 2" lift shackles... shouldn't run more than $100

·
Registered
49 Posts

Deffinently would try shackles, depending on the hight maybe a combo with both. I've heard some bad stories if you use to big of block under the right situations.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts

axle wrap is a bitch...

dont go too big on the block...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts