Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped an axle from a 95+ Expo Sport into my Ranger.

I did the swap so I could get disc brakes, 31 spline axles(vs the 28 spline Ranger), L/S, and lower gears.

The axle tubes are bigger than the Ranger tubes, so I had to get new U-bolts.

I was able to get an awesome deal at the JY. I got an axle with less than 100K on it, new rotors, new pads, rebuilt calipers, new p brake cables, and new seals for less than 200 bucks.

The biggest obstacles you will face when doing this swap id the fact that the spring perches need to be flipped (because and Expo is spring under axle vs the Ranger spring over) and the shock mounts to be welded on. Another big pain is the P-brake.

Here is how I brought the axle home

I cleaned it up a bit and cut the old perches and sway bar mounts off, then I made new perches out of some 2.5 x 2.5 box tubing.

Set the pinion angle at 6.5* and welded them on, I was able to salvage the shock mounts from my old axle.

I put new p brake shoes on and got the p brake levers lubed up,and I put all the new seals in. and then I primed the axle

next was paint and time to roll it under the truck.

I the expo brake line setup is different than the Ranger, because the line splits at the DS caliper hose. But I wasnt thinking when I ordered my extended lines for a Ranger. So I split the metal line in the middle and flared it. That way I could use my new line. the expo Y is built into the ds caliper hose so I just used a ps hose on both sides.

ps vs ds caliper hoses

Here is my bracket for the p brake. The Expo cables are too short to fit into the stock Ranger bracket, so it is necessary to move the mounting location back. Even if the cables were long enough to reach the stock brackets it didnt matter for me, because my hanger is moved forward for the 64" springs)

I used springs to keep the cables away from the tire when they are not under tension

-plumcrazy

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: My 31 spline Expo swap

dyllanvenezio said:
I am in the process of doing this swap now. Do i use explorer sway bars or bII?
I am not running any sway bars. None of them have long enough endlinks to work with my lift. Not to mention they limit flex too much. I know my truck isnt a race car, so I dont need it to handle like one.lol

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts

I disagree with that. At one point with bad tie rods, i couldnt keep the truck going strait above 60mph. Should i get rid of front and rear in my swap, put quick disconnects, or get rid of one or the other?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts

tie rods directly affect your steering though... sway bars aren't really a necessity...

but I do have to say that BII's are definitely a lot more top heavy than a ranger...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

dyllanvenezio said:
I know what you mean. Is it highway safe?
I drive 2hrs on way to and from school every weekend. My 94 never had a rear sway bar from the factory, neither did the 83 or 87. I ran the front sway bar for a while, but it limited flex too much, I honestly dont notice that its gone. When i get softer coils I will put it back on, but I will put pins in the bottom holes so I can disconnect the sway bar when the sh*t hits the fan.lol

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Swapping a D28 and D35 is simply unbolting the D28 rad arms and beams and shaft, then bolting the d35 beams in and bolting up the shaft.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts

OK so when doing the swap, you used the explorer rear driveshaft, right? And did you need an adapter for the flange? When i pulled the axle i just pulled the driveshaft out of the explorer, i didnt unbolt anything did i do it wrong?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I used my Ranger drive shaft, the Expo shafts are way shorter. You will need to use your B II shaft. The flange on the new axle should be the same. You may be able to use a rear shaft from a 2dr Expo on your B II, but I doubt it and there would be no advantage.

I swapped a one piece shaft from a 98+ ranger, but that had nothing to do with the axle swap. I did that to eliminate the carrier bearing, because pre 98 Super cab rangers with 4+ inches of lift increase the shaft angles too much and tend to shake at high way speeds.

-plumcrazy

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts