Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I have been putting a manual transmission in my truck in place of the auto. Well, tonight was the virgin ride with the manual. Made it a whopping 1.5 miles roughly and all the sudden a dam deer is right in front of me. Didn't really even have time to hit the brakes. Hit the thing at probably 55 mph since I was doing 60 before hand. It screwed up my bumper (might only be the brackets), hood, header panel, right headlight, left headlight only flickers, the radiator support got a slight kink in it, and now I have a small coolant leak that I couldn't find the source alongside the road. The bumper pushed into my tire so I had my roommate bring me my tools and I just took it off right along the road.

The good news is the truck shifted good and hopefully I will have some good venison soon.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Almost like the deer was waitin for you, just glad it's something you can fix.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Airtruksrus said:
Almost like the deer was waitin for you, just glad it's something you can fix.
and eat.

Glad your OK

Richard

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I forgot to mention that the airbag blew as well. Had my hand in the good ol' 12:00 o'clock position and now i have a bruise on my forearm from the bag.

·
Registered
984 Posts
bad deal your lucky though. people are kill by deer strikes very least a toataled truck. glad you and the ranger are ok

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That sucks to hear man.... glad you're okay!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the truck would be totaled guaranteed if I could turn it into insurance, but I only got PLPD so thats a no go. I kinda wish I did though so then I could get a new truck. But I know what you mean Sloue, my truck is still at least drivable.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Ouch man... best thing to do would be taking all the front end parts off and assessing the damage then. Looks like you'll need just about everything except fenders and corner lights.

I hate to see that man... My buddy hit a deer in his 06 F150 and it cause $5000+ in damage...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need the header panel, headlights, hood, and a bumper. The radiator/ core support could probably be straightened out, but I am afraid that as soon as I go to start pulling on it, it will pull right out due to the amount of rust on it. The hood hinge needs to bent back out, but it looks like it is spot-welded on and a pain in the ass to replace. The left fender can be pulled out a little bit as well.

Right now for the time being my headlights are Hella 500's. Even got a deal on them. Went to the cashier with the box that was all torn up and asked if I could get 20% off on them. He called the manager and the manager said no problem. I should've asked for like half off since there was like no issue getting 20% off.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
You know, since you already have to buy all the parts... and your header panel is busted...

You could do a front-end swap! 01-03 would be sick!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rngrdanny22 said:
You know, since you already have to buy all the parts... and your header panel is busted...

You could do a front-end swap! 01-03 would be sick!
I have been toying with that idea quite a bit actually. The problem is I don't have a good place or the right tools when I am up at school to do a core support swap.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yeah, it would required grinding out some welds and then welding in the new one.... that's the main reason I've never done it to my 97.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rngrdanny22 said:
Yeah, it would required grinding out some welds and then welding in the new one.... that's the main reason I've never done it to my 97.
But you're SAS'ing it? lol. You'll put in a solid axle, but won't drill out a few spot welds? I find that pretty funny. Unless you're refering to not feeling like doing it and not that you can't, then I understand completely.

·
Registered
984 Posts
you drill the spot welds out and some tugging and hammering and its out not that bad at all i did the one in my Mach dint know bout a swap up in years but changing out the rad support is not that tough . go for it. a step bit for the spot welds is the ****

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sloue said:
you drill the spot welds out and some tugging and hammering and its out not that bad at all i did the one in my Mach dint know bout a swap up in years but changing out the rad support is not that tough . go for it. a step bit for the spot welds is the ****
How long did it take you? Because right now my truck is my only way to get around.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Re: Hit a freaking' deer!

a day and a bit .but it was all stripped and it still not reassembled. you get all the parts there. a few good step bits, a chisel set. a buddy that works for BBQ steaks. a week end . biggest thing is the diss mounting and remounting of all components .check plumb crazies build he did a custom support for his and you can get an idea what you up against.and allways plan for the unplaned.i would try to pull the old one out what you have to lose ,if it pulls off then no lose but if it holds up well enough for you do it at a better time ..why not.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
do you have a harbor freight in your are if so they have a spot weld cutter and it works so good i did a front core support on a nissan extra in a day

1 - 20 of 30 Posts