Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if there is a way to put a 1991 engine into a 1996 body. the engine is in good condition and all i need to do is find out if i can accomplish this and how to do so.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
ya it can bee done but what state are you in cuz you cant smog it and in some cases it might not pass inspection. what motor is in your 91

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 91 4.0's were the OHV version, as well as the 96. The only thing that would be a snag would be the wiring and the emissions features as BADINTEN stated.

Good luck on the build! We're here to help!

And welcome to the site!

·
Registered
585 Posts
isnt 1991 OBD-1 and 96 OBD-2?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm not familiar with your smog and swap rules. Why would anyone find out the motor was a '91? Wouldn't you swap all the emissions stuff from the original motor to the new? Then the wiring and computer and obd-II would be the same as original, wouldn't it?

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'm pretty sure the block and heads would be the same.

But wouldn't some of the 91's parts be different to accomodate the OBDII system? Such as the intake, vacuum hoses, etc?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
he was saying his motor is good but the body i junk if he did the motor swao just to change the intake and every thing to the 96 it really seems like a waste of time but that imo. when doing all that work for a stock motor you should just put a v-8 or something and call it a day

·
Registered
583 Posts
I know that the intake manifold is different from the 91 to 96. I don't know the exact year cutoff, but the earlier 4.0s had a cast aluminum intake manifold while my 96 has a plastic composite intake manifold. I don't know if they are swappable or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts