Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try an idea I have been kicking around for a while.

I replaced the worn out torque dampener on my 4.0 with a small turn buckle. It limits how much the motor can torque giving me a little more instant take off. i know a lot race cars run turn buckles an/or solid mounts. I know my truck isnt a race car, but the brackets were already there and strut was blown anyway. It does seem make the truck seem "tighter" at take off and after shifting. It doesnt shake the crap out of everything like solid mounts it just limits the give in the stock motor mounts.

I also know that some OEM replacements for torque dampeners are solid. (on other cars not RBV's).

My question is, do you think the stock brackets will hold up in the long run or will the fatigue and crack? I just tightened it until it was snug, so at rest there is no tension on the turn buckle.

-PlumCrazy

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't think that it will break. If it would, it would probably in 100,000 miles from now. The steel looks pretty think. But if it does break, you can just make brackets twice as strong. I'm sure you would have no trouble making some.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I haven't taken a close look at the mounts but I'd suspect they would hold up fine. The factory probably over designed them anyway. I can't really see them pulling out of the frame, there is not any shock load, but ???.
Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts