Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the truck has 78k miles on her now and I'm not sure what all maintenance has been done to it. I am planning on changing my front and rear differential fluid, fuel filter, tranny fluid, plugs and wires, flush the radiator..anything else yall can think that needs to be done? I wanna try to take care of this truck, it's gotta last me at least the next four years until I pay this thing off.

gimme some ideas of other things that need to be done

·
Registered
388 Posts
How about checking the brakes, belts and lubing the joints. Usual things i keep an eye on. 8)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds like you've hit about everything you need. Also think about flushing the brake fluid and changing the fluid in the transfer case.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree, though it may not need it, just go ahead and put new brakes front and back, change all the fluids you mentioned, buy a new battery, new plugs and wires, new drive belt, radiator flush, etc...

Do like I do, when you have the wheels and tries off of the truck, give them a good cleaning front and back, get all the brake dust off.

You have the most desired Ranger there is, I'd take care of it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah this truck so far has been simply amazing, absolutely no problems thus far..granted I havent owned it long but still.

I'll definantely do that, I may not be able to do it all at once, but I can do it fairly close together. thanks yall!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I almost forgot to ask. What fluids do you recommend (I want the best of the best) for the front and rear diff and the transfer case? And is there a particular lube you use on your joints?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I reccomend Royal Purple for all fluids but amsoil is also really good!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thats what I was about to say---Royal Purple for the diffs and stuff. I run motorcraft oil in the truck though. but when I do change diff oil, ill be using RP

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I third Royal Purple! So that means you pretty much have to buy it... lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well...looks like I'm buying Royal Purple. I was thinking about buying some to put in the engine but dad said he has some oil that I can use so i'll just use that I reckon.

what all does it take to change the diff oil (i have a feeling the front is one is gonna be a bitch). and how much is the general rule to put in?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
well, the back will be much easier of course... you will need to take off the cover and COMPLETELY remove the old gasket. Drain the fluid and reinstall the cover (with new gasket). Once reinstalled, open the fill plug and pour the fluid in until it reaches the top.

This is what I've done on a couple occasions. Worked well so far!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah thats what I was afraid of that front is going to suck.

how do you do the transfer case?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
good find man!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay sounds good. i've gotta buddy coming over monday to help. what is the general rule on mileage intervals that you're supposed to do this?

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you have an owner's manual, there should be a maintenance table in there somewhere that has a "normal driving" and "Severe driving" that shows you when you should change what. I would tell ya, but I don't know of the top of my head.

Also, have fun refilling the diffs and transfer case. I would recommend buying a cheap fluid transfer pump because it is a pain in the butt to try and fit a quart bottle raised up enough to fill the stuff without hitting another bracket or frame or body or everything else that is going to be in the way. I suppose it would be a heck of a lot easier with a body lift as well, but not all of us have that luxury.

·
Registered
388 Posts
West said:
Also, have fun refilling the diffs and transfer case. I would recommend buying a cheap fluid transfer pump because it is a pain in the butt to try and fit a quart bottle raised up enough to fill the stuff without hitting another bracket or frame or body or everything else that is going to be in the way. I suppose it would be a heck of a lot easier with a body lift as well, but not all of us have that luxury.
The fluid transfer pump is an absolute when filling the differentials, saved my garage floor several times including today. And sounds like there is a large majority that go for royal purple, guess I'll be checking it out myself when i get the explorer differential fixed up and installed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts