Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm completely paranoid of blowing this poor 7.5" to pieces.

It was in a 2.3 1994. Now it's taking the Abuse from my 5.0.

I find myself wanting to rip some tires every now and then when I have the street tires on, but I'm afraid of blowing it to bits, it'll rip beautifully from a dig, but brake stands are what I'm worried about.

Well, that and overall reliability.

So, I'm looking for a cheap yet tough gear set, and some sort of LSD or locker.

I got stuck in sugar sand the other day and that was rather humbling. Then my buddy parks in my ruts, digs his jeep in, and pull right out, then continues to do donuts in the sand. My open 7.5" did nothing.

I need a tough gear set, im confident for the little bit ill be doing the axle shafts wont need to be touched.

The rearend has a 3.45 ratio in it now, I noticed something about spline count being different between the 3.73s and the 3.45s, is there any difference? Not really in the know with ford rear ends, so...

I was running richmond 3.73s and a locker and I liked it, but that poor thing took a dump thanks to a heavy foot that wasn't mine.

Would it be easier to swap in an 8.8"? If so would it bolt right up? I would imagine the V6 rangers are the same mounting wise, just a 8.8 instead of 7.5.

Someone break it down and break the ford n00b in. lol

·
Registered
711 Posts
get an 8.8. all you need to do to make it work is transfer the leaf perches to the top of the axle, relocate the shock mounts and shorten you drive shaft. you can find stuff for your 7.5 or an 8.8 here: http://broncograveyard.com/

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Ranger 8.8's will bolt directly in and are spring-over axles... if you want to get a slightly beefier 8.8, you can remove one from an Explorer, but you will need to do what Rico said about flipping the perches as they are spring-under...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
From what I understand everything previously posted is correct, also the ranger 8.8 is 28 spline and the exploder 8.8 is 31 spline. I think the exploder has larger bearings. This is just from what I've researched, not actually done.
Richard

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm not against a Ranger 8.8" I just want something a little beefier, I'm not crawling or anything, just some adventures down trails.

I just need it to take a beating on the street, and if it doesnt have LSD I'll add it.

So i'm assuming I'll come out cheaper swapping in an 8.8"?

If not cheaper just better all around than my 7.5"?

Are there any particular reasons I shouldn't build the 7.5?

One day I'll just do a 9" thats what my buddy runs in his 11 second all motor 347 stroker foxbody, and that thing takes a beating.

EDIT* And another thing, turns out after checking for my gear ratios i noticed the front axle is a D28, fail. I read the biggest tire you should run with one is a 31" Which is what I'm running now, I want to run 35" I plan on lifting it some more here soon. When I get the xcase in and hooked up should I worry about running 35" on the D28?

Once again just for light wheeling, nothing major.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Buy a ford exploder and take front and rear axles.Then front is direct bolt in, the rear you can buy a kit to move the springs from bottom to top [or vice-versa, I can't remember- wobbly pops- don't forget to flip the bolt], or if you have welder, r+r spring perches. If you can find, grab one with 4.10 gears. Personally, I'd get one with open gears and add an extra side gear shim to get posi. Costs ~$5.00 but does wear down with time same as a lsd but cheaper to re-do, and you can put in a lunchbox locker down the road with the open. Basically, it depends on what you're planning on doing, and how much money versus time you're willing to spend. There is always a cheap way of doing things, you just have to research a little harder,; sometimes checking boards that may have absolutely nothing to do with your truck, but will give you ideas to build it to the way you want ;
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
I've found a lot of stuff applicable to my cheap ass race truck here; if your willing to research, you can find anything.
And if you can't find it, and you figure it out for yourself, post up your fixes here, we're always willing to learn. Especially if I don't have to do the research myself ;D.
Rereading your post, why do you need it beefier for the street? Are you dragging?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just get a Trac Lock 8.8 from an Expo. They are disc brakes and 31 spline axles (which is as beefy as a 9"). All you have to do is flip the perches over to run them in a stock height Ranger or you can bolt it in as is and lower the rear 4".

-PlumCrazy

·
Registered
559 Posts
alwaysFlOoReD said:
From what I understand everything previously posted is correct, also the ranger 8.8 is 28 spline and the exploder 8.8 is 31 spline. I think the exploder has larger bearings. This is just from what I've researched, not actually done.
Richard
The 28 spline and 31 spine axles use the same carrier, so the differential bearings are the same size. However the 31 spline outer bearings are larger and the axle tubes are 3 3/8" diameter vs. 3" on 28 spline. (31 spline axles cant be put in a 28 spline axle housing and vise versa.)

-PlumCrazy

·
Registered
559 Posts
nickskates4lyfe said:
EDIT* And another thing, turns out after checking for my gear ratios i noticed the front axle is a D28, fail. I read the biggest tire you should run with one is a 31" Which is what I'm running now, I want to run 35" I plan on lifting it some more here soon. When I get the xcase in and hooked up should I worry about running 35" on the D28?

Once again just for light wheeling, nothing major.
A D28 cant handle a 35" tire. The bearings are simply too small and the axles are the right sixe for an ATV or Golf Cart. Just pull the D35 axle beams/diff/shafts/Knuckles/Brakes from an Expo or Ranger. The D35 beams will bolt straight in and you can even use the D28 radius arms is want.

-PlumCrazy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts