Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just because iam doing this to day >:?. its time to pull the front wheel bearings out for the fall inspection, cleaning and re pack. i do this in the fall and again in mid summer. rbv s are know for their smallish front bearings , and with bigger tires and lifts puts more strain on those little buggers.this being more of a concern on the FWD models but should be equally in the minds of the 2WD crowed go to the wrecking yards and count how many three wheeled rbvs because of lack of bearing maintenance. its scary , and you dont want this to happen to you, so just a reminder .if you have not looked at you front hubs for awhile ,maybe a good time to get out there and make sure they are in sound shape for the winter :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I'm not great with up-keep.

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
this is even more important for the pre 97 ttb i have lost two bearings and one was on the road as i was driving at a lil over the speed limit while moving from washington state back to ca fixed that bitch in a gas station parking lot and was back on the road

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
You know, I dont ever really include this in my routine maintenance... maybe I should start!

I had to replace the bearings in my 97 once because they seized up. I probably could have prevented it if I kept up with them better!

·
Registered
180 Posts
wish i would have checked mine sooner!!! now i am in the process of doing both inners and outers and replacing the hubs that got destroyed from the bearings that went bad.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they say every 30 ooo k i do it in the fall and mid summer more if i drive in lots of wet conditions rbv bearings are not sealed so lots of wet washes them out .

·
Registered
388 Posts
Great idea to check the condition of the bearings every time doing overhaul. Did mine about a year ago, almost due for a check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts