Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ford 9" is a decent axle. I got mine from a '79 Bronco. It's a full width axle, but I'm certain the EB axle would involve exactly the same work to install it. The only difference between the 2 is width and pinion yoke. They use a 5.5 x 5 bolt pattern so you'll be looking for new rims or an adapter plate. My stock 1990 hand brake cables fit the 9 inch perfectly with no mods needed, so that's one less thing.:) I have changed my rear suspension so many times that I can't count. The best by far has been to cut the spring perches and shock mounts off the axle and move them to the stock Ranger location. It gave me the best articulation and the bext ride quality. Plus you can adjust your pinion angle to run a CV driveshaft. You WILL have to do this once you convert to a solid axle in the front as the mininum lift you can run is 6 inches. 8 inch lift would be recommended, but I'll go into that in my front axle install. The bonus to this is if you grab the axles from the bronco, you can grab the driveshafts as well. Then you're only looking at lengthening the stock bronco driveshaft.:) The only thing to note is the driveshaft to transfer case flange. The '78 bronco used a 1310 U-joint, which will fit the pre-'98 rangers perfectly. The '79s use a 1330 u-joint which requires an adapter u-joint and a new CV driveshaft flange. Nothing too serious. I know this is a really short writeup, but to be honest it's a very simple install. With a welder and a grinder you can do this in an afternoon. Only time delay is getting the driveshaft lengthened. Took 2 days for them to do mine. Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Looking good man! I did a similar thing with my rear axle (95 Isuzu Rodeo D44).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They aren't hooked up... Yet. I have read that some vans in the late 80's used a pinion support with a built in ABS sensor/ring. So I have been looking for one. If I find it I will let people know. With the AEM ems it's probably useless cause I can simulate the signal and output it to the ABS.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
t120r said:
With the AEM ems it's probably useless cause I can simulate the signal and output it to the ABS.
I see another how to/tech article ;) Can you tell I like learning ????
Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
hey gary, glad you made it over here. you have a sweet truck. ill sticky this for ya

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks guys, but I don't think this is 'sticky worthy'. The rear 9" install is very basic and has been written up a billion times online. What I may do if the AEM can't do what I want, is make my own ring and mount it on the Transfercase flange. Then I could make a bracket on the Tcase to mount the sensor. Should keep relatively clean if it's up and out of the way. I like everything to work as it should, so I won't be just leaving it disconnected.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yea thers neither other writeup like it on here this one is great

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
fordzilla said:
yea thers neither other writeup like it on here this one is great
Agreed. You explained it very well and the picture was perfect! Gives anyone wanting to try the project a great visual of what all is needed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it was me I would stick with the 8.8. It's a stout rearend. Parts are cheap and plentiful. The only reason I wapped to a 9" wascause of the full width front end.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For a trail only rig I would get something beefier than a 9 inch. I really don't see any difference with that compared to an 8.8 except the 9 inch doesn't use C-clips.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts