Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any suggestions for a true dual 3" exhaust running outside the frame rails? I'm trying to figure one out and it's a nightmare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why do you think you need it that big ? 2-1/2" is plenty big enough for even a big block. I ran duals outside the frame at first using glasspacks, we simply routed the pipe under and back up alongside the frame right past the collectors. Exits were just in front of the rear tires.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
have you thought about running a fuel cell in the spare tire location and then just running an X-pipe between the rails? A buddy of mine did that in a 5.0 Ranger he had a few years back.

If you wanna stay outside the rails, what type of headers are you running?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well seeing my engine will be producing close twice the stock HP (600HP/550TQ) I'll need a min of 3" pipe with an X-pipe. I'm gonna run CATs as well, so the less restriction, the better. I don't really want a fuel cell. I like the idea of the truck looking as stock as possible. All my mods after the big block swap will be to making it look stock with a little lift.
The header collectors are just outside of the frame, by the cab mount. So I will add my cats there and then either go inside the frame and down the passenger side, or run pipe straight down the outside and go in to the spare tire location where I will have the 2 magnaflows mounted. The 2 pipes will dump stright out the back.
In my province it's illegal to have pipes dumping infront of the back tires unless it came like that.
The problem with running them straight down the frame rails is adding an X-pipe.... If I run them inside the frame on the passenger side I can make the X-pipe easy, but putting CATS on will be hard.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Ah, I gotcha... I love the "stock, but not stock" look on a Ranger 8)

I like the idea of the two Magnaflows in the spare tire location. Will the pipes be able to go up under the rocker panel enough to be concealed, or will you be able to see the bottom of the pipes?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunently you will be able to see the header collector and cat from side on. I figure I'll get a set of those steps/running boards and that should cover them. I can run the pipes straight down the ousides and go into the frame at 45's to the mufflers and then out at 45 so that it exits straight behind the truck. But the X-pipe will be right in front of the mufflers. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.
As a side note there is a guy in my town selling 2 brand new magnaflow 3"in/out Cats for $100. Bonus:)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the stainless pipe costs the same regardless. As for the diameter, it was suggested to me by guys on 460ford.com to keep it at 3". Stock headers usually have a 3" or bigger collector (mine are 3.5").

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
t120r said:
In my province it's illegal to have pipes dumping infront of the back tires unless it came like that.
are you sure? theres people here doing it all the time, and it passes inspection too. the law wouldnt change for different parts of our province would it lol

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'm not sure about Canada, but I do know that some cities in the U.S. have stricter guidelines than the state they reside in... I believe Atlanta is actually one of them... and Los Angeles too...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the truck came with the option of exhaust dumping in front of the wheels, then you can do it. Otherwise it's not supposed to pass. But you know most guys in NL will pass a truck for a case of beer. hahaha.

I think I have the exhaust figured out. Going to run 3" pipes straight down the outside of the chassis going into the wheel arch on a 45 degree angle (TONS of clearance) and then into a Magnaflow tru-X pipe. That will dump into 2 Magnaflow mufflers which will pour straight out the back. Should look pretty sweet. I'll just need to find a nice looking set of running boards to cover up the cats/exhaust pipes.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That plan sounds pretty sweet! I've never seen it done before, so it will definitely be custom!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'm gonna order the X-pipe kit tomorrow. Then I just need some straight stainless and it should work out good.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
im thinking about something like this for my 79..

thats the Punisher in her earlier days..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a simple way to do it, but I would worry if you ever want to get it passed. I know that you can get a slip from anyone, but it's the dept of highways I worry about. I was pulled over for having an exhaust come out in front of the wheels on my ranger.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
t120r said:
That is a simple way to do it, but I would worry if you ever want to get it passed. I know that you can get a slip from anyone, but it's the dept of highways I worry about. I was pulled over for having an exhaust come out in front of the wheels on my ranger.
ok you mean those white pickups going around with the yellow stripe on the side? theyre the same guys that always gave my dad hell when he was on tractor trailer

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well looks like it's next to impossible to run a dual exhaust with the stock tank. I spdent a good part of the day messing with it. It looks like I have to go fuel cell. I'm not keen on it cause it's a pain to fill from the bed.:( Anyone have any recomendations for a fuel cell? Something that fits the ranger nice.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
IIRC Tom s. build has a fuel cell. I don't recall exactly what his solution was but it was discussed.

Richard

1 - 20 of 28 Posts