Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 1990, 2.3L, manual, w a/c. The a/c condensor and compressor have been removed for years. Driven 10k miles cross country for the last six months no problem. Last week the engine died at a stop light- no apparent reason. Cranked for a few seconds at the light to no avail. Pushed the truck into a parking lot and took a cab home. The check oil light had come on a few days earlier. That has happened before when the oil went below a quart low. Went back on the weekend and checked the fuel level, inertia switch, fuel relay fuse in the power distribution box, and oil to find only the oil is in fact a quart low. Got a trouble code reader, but after 5 minutes of waiting for codes, the light remained steady and no tones. I have replaced the fuel pump and tested the old pump. The old pump was was good. That was a letdown after all that trouble. I had an assistant check for spark to find I have no spark. I tested the Ignition Module to find that it is good. A parts store manager and I discussed some troubleshooting and came down to the fuel pump relay or the the crankshaft position sensor. I bought a fuel pump relay, but have no idea where the relay lives on the vehicle. There is no mention of a fuel pump relay in the Haynes book. QUESTION: Does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is on the truck? I am going to research other references and will modify this post if I find out so as to not waste anyone's time. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
First, I'm not a mechanic, last warning.
It can't hurt to spray a little fuel into the air intake, but I would be a little hesitant to use starting fluid. If the engine backfires it could be catastrophic.
I think you're on the right track with the fuel pump. When you first turn the key on, you should here the fuel pump kick on for ~2 seconds until pressure is built up in the system, then it shuts back off. If you hear the pump, then a quick red neck check is to press in on the schrader valve on the fuel rail, be careful, fuel should squirt out. The schrader valve looks exactly like the valve on your tires that you would use to put in air. If there is fuel spraying out, it may be that there isn't enough pressure, so see if you can borrow a fuel pressure gauge from your local parts store, a lot of them have a free tool loan program.
If no sound of pump, then suspect the pump. Check the wires and make sure they are hooked up. Then make sure there is power to the wiring at the pump. If there is power to the pump, then your pump is fried. If there isn't power, you have to trace back until you find the problem.
A really good idea is to buy a book on troubleshooting EFI engines, you can google that and find many good books. I'd recommend one, but it's in my work truck and I don't recall the name or author.
Good luck,

Richard

·
Registered
179 Posts
Starting fluid is BAD stuff. It's ONLY safe use is on an engine with a Turbo or a sidemounted supercharger (Detroit Diesel). The reason I say that is, the fluid likes to get between the piston rings. I think you can visualize what happens then. There are countless NA engines out there that got ruined cause of that stuff. My Dad was a diesel mech for years and he's made a fortune cause of that stuff. Where I'm from people use it all the time cause they don't like to address the real problem.

I would take alwaysfloored's advice, sounds like your pump gave out. Make sure you have power to the pump first before you change it. I've had to replace quite a few fuel pump relays in my RBVs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was sure that no matter what, the tank would need to be emptied and dropped to inspect the fuel pump and there is no reason to have the tank off and not replace a twenty year old fuel pump anyway. I am just hoping that after that is done the problem does not persist. Better get crackin. Any other suggestions to chase down a possible problem I am not thinking of are appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts