Ford Ranger Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took Stephany (my fiance) and her girlfriends out to the river today so we could go swimming. Well there was a fairly long mud puddle, about 8 feet long and maybe 6 or so inches deep, Stephany wanted to drive through and she did obviously with ease. That was my first test for her and she did well, although the tires would get covered with mud in the tread very easily.

Then they told me about a spot called Popes Ferry on the other side of town thats big for mud bogging. So I figured, okay lets see what this puppy can do eh?

To get back to the mud holes and narrow trails first I had to drive over a small tree laying in the trail, shouldve been my first sign this is going to be some pretty good mud holes. We came up to the first one, about 12 feet long a good 2 feet deep of pure mud, no water. I popped her into 4wd low and creeped into the mud hole and then speed up as I was going through it to make sure I was going to tear anything up (I still dont know what I'm doing when it comes to this). The truck slide around some in the mud as I was driving through it but nothing terrible at all, and yet again it made it through it just fine, no struggle at all.

Then they told me keep going on back, the holes were gradually getting bigger and deeper. I came up to my last night before I had to turn around. It was about 16 feet long and my tires were completely submerged (no pictures, it was night and I just wanted to get the hell out of there). I put it back in 4wd low, and creep on in and immediately the truck nose dived into the mud, it was MUCH deeper than I thought. I started freaking out thinking I was going to get stuck, so instead of following the mud trail, I went up the embankment on the side about 8 feet ahead or so. As I was going up I hit my front bumper and knocked the side loose (where it clips). The truck was completely covered in mud...and needless to say the truck made it through with moderate ease, it would've been a sinch if I would've had more ground clearance and more aggressive tires. I snapped back the side of the bumper, but the part where it attaches above the fog light is broken so its ever so slightly sagging, but you would really have to be looking to see it. Heres a pic under the lights at our walmart so you can see the after affects.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey it looks good! any ideas of how I could fix the bumper without buying a new one?

and what do you think of what the ranger went through tonight, think I probably pushed its limits without breaking something?

I immediately thought after leaving..."I need a 3" suspension lift 33" tires immediately..if not higher and bigger"

my ground clearance is what messed me up the most when I dropped down into that mud pit

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
it did exactly what a fx4 ranger is made to do made but the thing is it does more than that like my truck all i have is a 3 inch body lift and 33 inch tires and i went into a comp mud bog and made it all the way through in the 33 inch tire class like i said man the first thing u need is a 3 inch body lift and than but 33 inch mud tires and u can really go through anything and come out looking like this

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats freakin ridiculous! I can't believe you your truck made it all the way through your class when its basically stock! Man I'd love to get the truck that covered in mud someday! Although the worst part afterwards was trying to clean up the underbody of the truck.

I'm ordering some Hella 500 fog lights within the next few weeks to install on the inside of the grill (lighting last night was a big issue), then I'll eventually price a 3" suspension lift, I know a body lift would be cheaper but I would want more ground clearance than just be able to fit bigger tires. And yes the 33" mud tires is an absolute must, although the tires on it now performed well I guess, hell I didn't get stuck? I really like the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws but they look like they would be extremely expensive.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
ok there is no 3 inch suspension lift there is only a 4 inch and the only people that sell it is super lift and it's $2000 bucks srry but a 3 inch body lift will be way cheaper and yes baja claws rock but u will only get around 20 thousand miles on them they wear very fast and wear very uneven i would suggest a bfg KM2 or wrangler mt/r with kevlar or goodyear duratrac tire ooooorrrrr the baja MTZ tire

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh..well thats freakin crazy! I'm assuming your body lift has done you well with offroading? I would think the body lift would stretch out the suspension which I would imagine couldnt be good for it, and make it ride like crap. I'll have to look at those tires and see which ones I like. thanks man! I like the idea of kevlar in my tires though

·
Registered
901 Posts
Lol the two RED Fx4's are chatting it up.

Anyways that all I wanted to post, I didnt read the story yet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just don't see where a body lift would do me any good offroading other than tire clearance. I would want more ground clearance

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
u get the ground clerance from the bigger tires and i do great off road with clerance with my 33 inch tires and unless u have the money it's the only way to go in my book u could do the t-bar crank but that is bad for the truck and on road driving sucks and u chance breaking stuff

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm I don't know I'll have to look into it some more no big rush to make any moves right now. I do remember my buddy in high school had a 2wd ranger that he put a 3" body lift i believe, and he put 31 MT's I do believe and it rode like CRAP! It looked awesome tho. It was 4 cylinder ranger...good times

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
WOW WOW WOW ok sorry but i have to chime in bro. i was all in agreeing with you until you said it will not affect the truck at all well that and the part about the 2wd smack talk. first off the body lift is one of the best ways to lift a truck for big tires its cheap and easy to install and the bigger tires give more ground clearence. there is a small down side it does make you a lil more top heavy and if your into turn sharp at high speeds( just saying you may not drive this way but i know ppl that do) it would roll easyer that if it was stock.

also there is noting wrong with lifting a 2wd mine is on 37 as wee speak i just need to put the motor back in if your buddys ranger rode like **** thats his prob for building ****

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
well you cant buy a suspension lift for that truck without spending around 1500-2000, if you want a ranger to lift for under 500 bucks get a 83-97 ranger. you can get a body lift and some bigger tires, those tires would raise your truck up more to give you some ground clearance.

you can crank your torsion bars too, many people advise against it but if you only do it for around 2" then you will be just fine. just remember to get a wheel alignment after. i cranked the tbars on my old mazda truck and never had a hook with it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
BADINTEN said:
WOW WOW WOW ok sorry but i have to chime in bro. i was all in agreeing with you until you said it will not affect the truck at all well that and the part about the 2wd smack talk. first off the body lift is one of the best ways to lift a truck for big tires its cheap and easy to install and the bigger tires give more ground clearence. there is a small down side it does make you a lil more top heavy and if your into turn sharp at high speeds( just saying you may not drive this way but i know ppl that do) it would roll easyer that if it was stock.

also there is noting wrong with lifting a 2wd mine is on 37 as wee speak i just need to put the motor back in if your buddys ranger rode like **** thats his prob for building ****
your ranger is 2wd?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.