Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the clutch cable problem seems to be fixed but now the problem with the rough idle has gotten worse. The biggest problem it seems to happen when getting above half throttle and sounds like it's starving of fuel, missing on a few cylinders. Runs all right but still a bit rough when just cruising in 5th.

Last Saturday, decided to take a little trip to lynwood via the ferry from Whidbey and not too many problems except it started to quit and the stoplight a couple of times. Left from there and headed up to Arlington on I5 and again the same small problems, just wanted to see it the hot rod gathering was going on with no luck. Saw a Hell of alot of Rangers in the Arlington area. Anyway, headed back up to the island and as i got close to home, one of the cylinders stopped firing - now I'm getting worried. Not that I managed to get home when it started happening, sounded like something else let loose with the exhaust.

Well, I guess I'll be out untill i can get this problem fixed, anyone have any stories to relate the same kind of problem. Thinking it has quite a bit to do with the fuel pressure, fuel regulator and/or the injectors needing a good flow testing and cleaning at $35 bucks an injector. The pumps run up around $100 to $200, need to do some hard negotiating with the wife especially after picking up another car for my daughter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
sorry to hear that the truck isnt running at its best, you should have posted up that you were going to be up in my neck of the woods. oh well maybe next time. hope you get that thing fixed soon.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope it's going to be one of those little things that you find at the last moment and think to yourself, that should have been an easy fix, why didn't i check there first. Should be pulling the injectors to get them flo tested/cleaned and replace a few more of the sensors and valves that should have been replaced when first installing the engine. It might even have something to do with the splitfire plugs after hearing all the grief about the reliability, started having problems when i replaced the other coil after it burned up ???.

I'll leave a message next time heading down your way.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BADINTEN said:
try running some seafoam in it
Might give it a try after all i've heard about the results, have to get the fuel pressure guage hooked up first into the line to find out if the pump is starting to go out. Got alot of other projects to get out of the way for next week.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me see, changed out the manifold gaskets, exhaust gaskets - definitely, installed the fuel pressure gauge, ran a compression check of all the cylinders, changed out all the spark plug wires to the autolite 8.5 mm core, changed out 4 plugs on cylinders 5 thorough 8, emptied the contents of a lucas oil top end lube and injector cleaner in the tank and, ummmm, yeah, uhh, hooked up the loose vacuum line found lying on top of the transmission only revealed after pulling the upper manifold off. Dam, it runs a hell of alot better. Now i've got another problem that still won't go away, a bit of vibration that feels like it's coming from the clutch area. Already hit up the wife for the funding to get the tranny changed out with a Tremec T-5 in the next year. Just have to be real easy on the acceleration for a while and hope nothing else goes south. Dam, no more speed runs over 70 till then.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Ugh I hate vacuum hoses... glad you got it running good!

Oh and good choice on the future transmission! 8)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been doing alot of reading on the specs for the T5, was just about dead set on the TKO and thought after a while it was a bit overkill. Tremec put out a great upgraded replacement for the BW WC T5 which should handle the torque just fine. I probably didn't give a whole lot of thought into the fact that with all the extra horses being developed, it was going to wear out a couple of things much faster like the stock tranny and most definitely the 7.5 rear combined with the bigger wheels. Only then I'll feel confident in getting myself up to do the dyno run. :p

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Cant wait to hear of completion and see those dyno sheets!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keeping the fingers crossed that the leaf spring supports get welded on soon for the new rear, guess i'll keep it updated on the other posting for the drivetrain. Hopefully no more issues with the motor from here on out. Am thinking of getting another vacuum/pressure guage to monitor the differential of air in the cold air inlet box to find out if the ram scoop is actually giving the engine a bit of boost at highway speed(more boost as you go faster), especially after getting the surprise with the mileage increase last weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts