Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as some of you know I have a bad vibration at 80-85kmh. I ripped apart my whole rear axle and reset the backlash. Closely inspected the driveshaft/u-joints and greased everything. Took it for a test run and the damn thing still vibrates. So I was lying underneath it and started twisting and pulling on the driveshaft. There is play in my slip yoke. Bummer... But at least I found the problem. I take the shaft off and find out that there is only play in this spot of travel. Go figure. So now I need to replace the slip yoke. It's a '79 bronco shaft that was custom made to fit my ranger. I can easily get the female end that holds the U-joint, they're even cheap... But what's the point? I mean I would be naive to think that only one end wears out. Does anyone know where to get both ends? I've been looking at a place called driveshaft superstore, but I'm not keen on chinese stuff... Hard to say where they get it from...

http://www.driveshaftsuperstore.com/Drive_shaft_long_slip_yoke_and_spline.htm

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
How angled is your driveshaft?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Gary as soon as you signed off msn i thought of something, I have 2 driveshafts here for a 79 bronco. they are yours if you want them

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's man, but the whole shaft is new except for the slip yoke. I'll just get a new one for piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Is the Bronco shaft one-piece?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine makes the vibration to around 60 70 miles per hour. Make sure your rotors aren't warped that could cause the vibration also.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
rngrdanny22 said:
now that i think about it, yeah i believe they both are.

t120r said:
That's man, but the whole shaft is new except for the slip yoke. I'll just get a new one for piece of mind.
yeah,new is always better lol. if you need it though you know where it is

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
fordzilla said:
Quote from: rngrdanny22 on April 24, 2011, 08:12:20 PM

now that i think about it, yeah i believe they both are.

Okay, I was just making sure. The stock pre-98 Ranger shafts are two-piece with a carrier bearing. If the trucks are lifted more than four inches, it causes the carrier bearing to wear out prematurely. This is why I switched my driveshaft with a one from a 98+ 4x4 Ranger (one-piece).

If the Bronco shafts were two-piece, it could have been the same issue. Since their not, I would take the driveshaft to a shop to make sure it is properly balanced.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
its only the extended cabs that have the 2 piece with carrier bearing i think

1 - 11 of 11 Posts