Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since posting last, been really busy at work and just came back from the training cruise off of San Diego. Probably would have been dodging F-18 turbine blade pieces if i'd been working the day shift.

Anyways, while down there I was able to get a hold of these flashy new explorer brake rotors custom drilled and slotted from the same great friend for helping him out with his newly acquired 89 Ranger. He's looking at having me set up the rear end with the same config as mine, among a few items on the list.

still have to finish installing the new line loc before getting to test them out.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Shiny! Do you already have drilled/slotted on the front or is that on the "to-do" list?

·
Registered
984 Posts
have i got an envy bone going here. thats beauty . do tell about the fan blades of a f18 of all things . all my life all i wanted to do was work on jet planes. but i was to much of a fuck up! you are a god in my books SIR !

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rngrdanny22 said:
Shiny! Do you already have drilled/slotted on the front or is that on the "to-do" list?
The front rotors are definitely on the "to do list", definitely in the next six months or so. Couldn't believe they came that way, just added to the wow factor for the up coming car show.

sloue said:
have i got an envy bone going here. thats beauty . do tell about the fan blades of a f18 of all things . all my life all i wanted to do was work on jet planes. but i was to much of a fuck up! you are a god in my books SIR !
Yeah, i was asleep in the rack on the other end of the Stennis when all the chaos took place. Working nights for the week meant going in at around 6pm to the shop that's located under the catapult #1(noisy as hell, need hearing protection just in the work center) and getting off at around 630 am, lots of overtime major. I got awakened by what came over the speakers about a fire alarm on the flight deck. Didn't worry about it and heard how quick action from the fire crew put it out in a hurry. It wasn't till i got to the Work Center to find out about 3 of our guys somehow got nailed by the shrapnel as it punched through the side of the jet and around 12 people total receiving the same. Two of the guys were from my shop and one of them was lucky for where it hit the zipper on the float coat, fairly good size chunk of titanium while another went into his leg. All in all, only one person from my company out of all had to be airlifted back to San Diego for more treatment. When i'm standing up there to assist in launching aircraft, were checking the wings, jammer pods, fuel tank fittings, landing gear and any hydraulic lines in view for leakage just prior to the pilot running up the engines up to full power for takeoff. Wearing a set of plugs and ear muffs definitely take out the noise but feels like your teeth are about to rattle off the jaw bone. I'm just making sure to grab a pad eye on the deck since when the EA-6B gets launched, give the thumbs up, then the jet blast goes out and you get knocked back by approximately 120 mph winds for a second. Dam, what a rush. Where i stand when im not launching them is almost right in line where the F-18 turbine blades would exit the side of fuselage and i would have most likely received a few battle scars of my own. As for the remaining part of the jet, we did about 8 fod walk downs on the flight deck and were still finding slivers of titanium blades back past the center island where the airboss coordinates everything. Funny thing is, the people who put out the fire on the jet were the old farts from my company who took quick action in getting manned on the hoses while the fire rescue crew went for the pilot. We didn't really receive any kind of recognition for getting the fire out before getting out of hand. And that Sloue is about the most exciting thing that happened the whole time out there, and their talking about setting up something for 3 weeks later on in the summer, my back can only handle a week after sleeping in those racks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
:eek: that's crazy! i never had anything like that when i was in. is the one guy gonna be ok?

P.S. fod walks suck.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RICO9 said:
:eek: that's crazy! i never had anything like that when i was in. is the one guy gonna be ok?

P.S. fod walks suck.
Especially repeated fod walks, especially when they want you on your hands and knees. As for the person receiving the extensive injuries, should be alright and almost completely healed after a couple of months.

If anyone is interested in some of the flashy brake rotors, contact Dan with Racers Fabricator - 714-871-9920. Send him your brand new set of rotors and he'll do the same thing as mine for $30 for the front or rear set.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Sounds like work could have been 'interesting'! I'm glad you missed it.
Also, thanks for the info on Racer's Fabricator.

Richard

·
Registered
984 Posts
Airtruksrus said:
rngrdanny22 said:
The front rotors are definitely on the "to do list", definitely in the next six months or so. Couldn't believe they came that way, just added to the wow factor for the up coming car show.

sloue said:
Yeah, i was asleep in the rack on the other end of the Stennis when all the chaos took place. Working nights for the week meant going in at around 6pm to the shop that's located under the catapult #1(noisy as hell, need hearing protection just in the work center) and getting off at around 630 am, lots of overtime major. I got awakened by what came over the speakers about a fire alarm on the flight deck. Didn't worry about it and heard how quick action from the fire crew put it out in a hurry. It wasn't till i got to the Work Center to find out about 3 of our guys somehow got nailed by the shrapnel as it punched through the side of the jet and around 12 people total receiving the same. Two of the guys were from my shop and one of them was lucky for where it hit the zipper on the float coat, fairly good size chunk of titanium while another went into his leg. All in all, only one person from my company out of all had to be airlifted back to San Diego for more treatment. When i'm standing up there to assist in launching aircraft, were checking the wings, jammer pods, fuel tank fittings, landing gear and any hydraulic lines in view for leakage just prior to the pilot running up the engines up to full power for takeoff. Wearing a set of plugs and ear muffs definitely take out the noise but feels like your teeth are about to rattle off the jaw bone. I'm just making sure to grab a pad eye on the deck since when the EA-6B gets launched, give the thumbs up, then the jet blast goes out and you get knocked back by approximately 120 mph winds for a second. Dam, what a rush. Where i stand when im not launching them is almost right in line where the F-18 turbine blades would exit the side of fuselage and i would have most likely received a few battle scars of my own. As for the remaining part of the jet, we did about 8 fod walk downs on the flight deck and were still finding slivers of titanium blades back past the center island where the airboss coordinates everything. Funny thing is, the people who put out the fire on the jet were the old farts from my company who took quick action in getting manned on the hoses while the fire rescue crew went for the pilot. We didn't really receive any kind of recognition for getting the fire out before getting out of hand. And that Sloue is about the most exciting thing that happened the whole time out there, and their talking about setting up something for 3 weeks later on in the summer, my back can only handle a week after sleeping in those racks.
COOOLL !!!!!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to mention, i'm the lowest paid tech in the shop but doing all this for the fun of it. And now that the line lock is mounted in, trying to get someone to take a pic with smokin tires. Absolutely kicks ass!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts