Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k today i was talking to my teacher saying how cool it would be to make my ranger a 4x4 one day, so he's like come with me, so i went with him and he offered me his stock 1500 1994 dodge ram dana 44 with new ball joints and his m 20 rear i think its called, but he wants to give it to me for free. i was thinking grab the dana 44 but leave the rear end and get a f150 8.8 and switch all my rear disc stuff to that axle cuz im pretty sure there both 5x5.5 bolt pattern. and i know there full width and they will be pretty wide. so what do you guys think about this?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Full width would look killer man. That's what I plan to do with my BII.

Is the Dodge axle a driver-side differential? I guess it wouldn't 100% matter if you're replacing the entire drivetrain (engine, transmission, transfer case).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i love the look of it and yea its a drivers side diff, but i plan on a f150 or a mustang engine swap to a 5.0l with a f150 tranny and t case so it would still have to be a driver side drop.

more opinions would be great guys, thanks

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I say go for it then man. Can't beat free!

Also, another question... is it leaf or coil-spring?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its coil spring and today i found out that it has 3.55's in it, is this good?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
What kind of gearing is in them?
Edit; 3.55 is meh. You will have a harder time starting off when you put on big tires, which will have to be done otherwise it'll look dumb. I'm running 4.10's with 31" rubber and that seems to be the sweet spot for me in my b-II. It'll do for now but plan on swapping gears in the future.

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
just do his rear if its the same bolt pattern forget about the 8.8

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i plan to go as big as 35s and for the rear, it has drums so i was thinking grab a 8.8 out of a f150 that has 3.55s or 4.10s and switch the front to the same, and swap all my disc brake stuff over to the f150 8.8 so i can have four wheel discs. or is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
There are lots of tire/gear ratio/speed calculators out there. Use them. Usually the factory has a pretty good starting point for a general purpose truck, so take that as your starting point, plug in the 35" tire, and see what you get. What you plan on doing with the truck will make a difference as well, if your doing mainly off road, lower [higher number] gears are in order. Doing this will also ruin any good gas mileage your might get right now. As far as the 8.8 vs the other, I'd be inclined to go with the easier swap, which would probably be the ford. If you end up needing to buy gears, buying a diff with the gears you need makes the most sense to me.
Good luck,

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
disk brakes are great i love them they work alot better but ware faster. what you could do is grab the 44 and sell it to fund your 8.8

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
BADINTEN said:
disk brakes are great i love them they work alot better but ware faster. what you could do is grab the 44 and sell it to fund your 8.8
Good idea!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i wish, but he said he would give them to me if i would use them, but if i decided not to he would keep it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
well look at it this way if you can use it to get the one you want then you are using it lol

·
Registered
984 Posts
sounds like axle fever to me...the cure ...PLAN,FOCUS,EXCUTE. when i wore a younger mans boots like your self .I would go scrounging round for old scrap cars laying bout and offer to remove them. two scrap cars hauled to the junk yard would get any parts i wanted. no cash out of hand . i am sure those days are as much as gone any more . but if you know any body with some junkers about, two of them , would get you your whole d35 front clip. just a little old man rambling. __you have all the time in the world__

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
ramblings or not its kinda like that if you know the right ppl that is

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Bradner salvage treated me good in the day.

Richard

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea i did some research on the dana 35 and found out everything i would have to do to make it work and it invloves cutting out the engine cross member and welding the 4x4 one in which can be done but from all the problems ive heard about camber and uneven tire wear kinda made me think twice about the dana 35. and the 2wd cross member is smaller so it will be easier to fit a solid axle under it without to many clearence issues and if i do decide to use this dana 44 it will be stronger than the ttb dana 35 and i wont be running any 40 inch tires anytime soon so the max i would go would be around 35 inches so it wont put to much stress on the dana 44 and this dana 44 is free and right at the school for me to use when i choose to do this. and with solid axle i wont have to deal with camber (i dont think). thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what would be a down side of having a full width solid axle?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
There really isn't a downside that I know of performance-wise. It would probably make the rig more stable having a wider stance.

Appearance-wise, your tires will stick outside the fenders considerably more than they do now.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts