Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the lower balljoint on the drivers side of the truck. When i was putting it all back together i had the axle shaft in i didn't have the tie rod on it yet. I turned the knuckle by hand and watched the drive shaft at the universal joint when i was turning it the u joint was hitting on the inside of the carrier. What causes this how can it be fixed?. It also is making a grinding popping noise when i turn left some times i thought it was my ball joint i replaced that repacked my wheel bearings and its still doing it. Please help i don't know what is going on.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
U-joint scrubbing
Are you referring to the u-joint on the driveshaft? Could you grab a quick picture so we can see your driveline angle?

Scrubbing noise when turning left
To test this, sit the truck on a level spot and turn the wheel all the way to the left. Get out and check for any clearnance issues. My truck did this when I put 31's on it way back in the day. Turns out it was the tire scrubbing the inner plastic fender well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the universal joint on the axle shaft that goes inside of the housing where the axle meets the universal joint it hits on the inner housing i will get some pictures tommorow. It just doesn't seem right.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Put the tire back on and see if it still hits. Remember that once the truck has its full weight on, it may compress the ball joints enough to clear.

Worth a shot... LOL

I actually noticed that on my D44, mine slightly scrubs here as well, but it's only the grease nozzle, not the actual u-joint itself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright i will try that thanks for your advice i will give an update on my situation in the morning.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Sounds good! Let us know and we'll go from there!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And how hard is it to replace a axle seal on one of these do i have to pull everything apart?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Axle shafts aren't hitting now since its sitting on the ground but its darn close.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
junkranger97 said:
And how hard is it to replace a axle seal on one of these do i have to pull everything apart?
You will probably need to take everything off up to the point where you can get access to the axle shaft. Then slide the seal over the shaft.

junkranger97 said:
Axle shafts aren't hitting now since its sitting on the ground but its darn close.
Yeah, mine were always very close to hitting as well. Can you get a picture of the clearance? Post it on here so others with the D35 can provide input!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Run it a couple times in 4wd and check to see if there are any wear marks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts