Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gears does it come in? Do most people have an 8.8 with it? So it doesnt mount to the frame at all, just the radius arms shocks and coils, right?

I know this is bad, but im thinking of posting my good dana 35 with all new brake parts on craigs list, ill give radius arms driveshafts and everything. Im thinking this, because im about to weld axle pivot drop brackets, radius arms, and buy new shocks. Might as well do it for the 44.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Very true... with as much work as you are about to do, it would be worth it to do the D44 swap...

Actually, nothing will really "bolt in". The radius arms are much longer for the D44 than the D35 and the brackets will need to be further back. You can get a set of drop radius arm brackets for a 70-77 Bronco, but be warned, they're not cheap! The coils are actually a wider diameter and can be made to work with the stock coil buckets, but it's much easier to just get new buckets for an older Bronco or F150. Then there is also the need to fab up a bracket for the trac bar. Rangers/BII's dont have a trac bar to keep the axle lined up under the truck (thats what the drop brackets are for).

Check out Blue Torch Fab for some of the brackets and such. A 70-77 Bronco D44 is by far the easiest (in comparison) swaps you can do to a Ranger/BII.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well ill be welding it all myself. But that is less welding. As of now i have to weld 2 axle drop brackets, and long link radius arms. With the d44, just a trac bar, and long link radius arms.

What gears does it come in? Do most people have an 8.8 with it?

Now i just ordered $150 worth of brake parts, and i spent 140 for an 8.8 and a D35. So if i sell Ex coils, front driveshaft, and axle with brakes and hubs will i be able to get $200? If i can then i just bought a 8.8 for $90. Should i cancel my order, or just wait to try and get a good deal on the D35?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
As far as gears, I believe they can come in a wide ranger from the low 3's up to 4.11's (It's wierd, but it's not actually 4.10's).

You can use an 8.8 but remember, the bolt pattern on the front D44 will be 5 on 5.5, whereas, the 8.8 will 5 on 4.5. Since you have differing bolt patterns, you wont be able to rotate your tires w/o taking them off the rims. Most people that I know of get the matching rear axle out of the Bronco which is a Ford 9" rear axle. Very strong and they even make a kit for them to make them 35 spline (in comparison, D44's are 30 spline, and most 8.8's are 28 or 31 spline).

You could probably get $200 for the setup, but remember you wont be able to ship them (economically) and someone will have to pick them up. This limits the number of willing buyers. But I do think $200 is possible, especially with the new brake parts.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If I ever run across a Rubicon D44 for a decent price then it would be under the truck that afternoon.lol I have accepted the fact that 8" lift and 35's is as big as you can go with a TTB D35. I will die before I ever even think of putting a body lift on my truck, so it looks like a D44 is in my truck's future. I think I would like to run leaves too, I like the way they flex and can be stiffened of softened up by simply adding or removing leaves.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Very true! I totally forgot about the Rubicon... sucks they are usually about $1500 though! Hell, EB D44's aint cheap either!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
They arent too much I dont think... Maybe $100 for a good set of two...

Try checking out stylinconcepts or 4wheelparts and see if they have some

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Ah, well that sucks... LOL

Have you checked eBay?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are they dangerous? Are there certain D44's i should be looking for, other than the lug diameter? Are they all very expensive?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I've heard some bad things about spacers, but have never used them so I really cant say.

Most D44's can be pretty pricey, especially for fully rebuilt ones. As far as an easy swap goes, look for one out of a 70-77 Bronco... some people get really lucky and find an old Bronco in the junkyard and get the parts off of it. However, these axles would need a complete rebuild as well...

I would say $1000 is probably gonna be the lower end of the price range (once rebuilding and regearing are taken into account).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts