Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, for those who dont know, a D35 hybrid is simply a dana 28 housing/gears/carrier with dana 35 shafts. it also has a 10 bolt housing so it looks like a D35 on the front of the beam but when you look at the back of the housing underneath the truck you see its a very small housing and it isnt ribbed for strength like the D35 is.

anyways heres the deal. i have an 89 BII with the D28, and a 94 ranger with a D35 hybrid. as far as i know the inner shafts on the d35 hybrid are just smaller to work in the d28 gears/carrier that the d35 hybrid has. so i was thinking, can i just swap the shafts around? so the B2 would have the d35 hybrid shafts with the original d28 diff and the ranger would have pretty much a complete d28. i know i would need to swap hubs too. and i know, why not just swap beams and all, but i want to keep this truck mobile and i would way rather swap just the shafts.
thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I believe so, but measure them both before you start the project.

Since there is no tubular housing for the D28/D35, the shafts should fit without a hitch.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i found out they wouldnt work. so im swapping whole diffs. have you ever seen somebody swap a d35 out for a d28? i should be doing it today if all goes to plan lol

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Well that stinks that it wouldn't work... why not?

You're just changing the diffs? Will the D35 diff fit on the D28 arm? Or are you switching the entire driver side arm?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
changing ever part. both beams and radius arms

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
There's a few people on here that have dont the D28 to D35 swap. I believe Sloue and Rico have... maybe a few others.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know, i just dont know anybody who took out a d35 and put in a d28! haha. but i never done that today, i chickened out. and i couldnt get the ranger up to the garage anyways, batterys are dead. i think ill just use the d35 diff i have here, it needs radius arms but its just a good excuse to make some. and needs some gears, i dont know if i should save up for a locker or for some 4.56ss. she needs a re gear anyways so i may as well get some 4.56s then get a locker later, so i can have it all assembled as one unit. then get the 4.56s for the rear and yee haw look out!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
lol i would get the gears first and look for a good used locker and your right it is a good reason to make r arms lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
ok so is the d60 a good axel?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
It is probably the best axle out there, but is a solid axle. It would take alot of modification to put under a Ranger.

The D60 came in both a front and rear versions. The rear wouldn't be too difficult to install, but the D60 is MUCH wider than the stock Ranger axles as they came in full-size vehicles.

The front axle would require cutting out the entire suspension and doing a solid axle swap.

·
Registered
655 Posts
ive seen meny different one but i think in gonna try some time to do it im sure it can be done ill start on it as soon as i get a 4x4 ranger.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldnt call it the best axle out there. for a truck thats running on at least 37s than yeah a D60 is good, but otherwise you dont need it

and theres always the 2.5/5 ton rockwells lol

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
LOL... I really meant as far as a traditional axle goes. The Rockwell is probably stronger, but very limited and MASSIVE.

·
Registered
655 Posts
rngrdanny22 said:
LOL... I really meant as far as a traditional axle goes. The Rockwell is probably stronger, but very limited and MASSIVE.
limited? slow?

·
Registered
655 Posts
is it kinda the same as the semi axels we use for rock crawling.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'm not sure which axles you're referring to, but Rockwells have a very distinct shape. The D60 looks like the D44, but much larger.

·
Registered
655 Posts
oh ok

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rockwells are top loading driveshaft and square axle tubes, very easy to tell from the rest. and yeah danny d60 is the most practical lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
oh ok i get the idea now well on my next high roller truck i now what i now want. got my eye on one with a 501 stroker pushing 700hp need trans and the guy ust wont let off it its sitting for the last 2yr.take that back its a 514 stroker.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts