Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup this is my first post on this forum so I'm hoping ya'll can help me out here. My DD is a 98 3.0 4x4 with the ext cab. Friday night I came home and saws that I was leaking fluid at the mid point of the truck. I crawled under neath and thought that I had a rear output seal leak on the t-case. Apoun further inspection there is a crack in the T-case from where to seal sits down to about where the fill plug is located. is this a common problem? Has anyone had any luck fixing an issue like this with JB weld? If I do end up replacing the t-case can anyone point me to some info so that I can ID exactly what I have so I can purchase the correct part. It's electronically shifted and I'm going to keep it that way for now.

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Re: Cracked T-Case 3.0 Rnager

Wow... that's crazy! I've never personally seen that happen to a Ranger t-case. I wouldnt try welding or using JB Weld, your best bet is to do a full replacement.

If I remember correctly, you should have a BW-1354 Electric Shift case. They also make a manual shift version, but it is very rare.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the site!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Cracked T-Case 3.0 Rnager

He thanks for the input fellas. I'll let you know if the JB Weld works out for me. I'll be filling her up tonight since it's had about 24 hours to cure.

Mike

·
Registered
583 Posts
JB weld is a good choice for small cracks to see if it fixes it first before actual replacement. If it works, then it only cost like 10 bucks. If it doesn't, then you are in the same boat you were in before. And the JB Weld, if it works, gives you time to find an actual replacement transfer case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You nailed it West, the JB Weld worked (Sorta). Instead of the massive leak that I had previously, I now have a much smaller and more manageable leak. The only reason that I can see that is leaking now is the the crack actually runs all the way under the output shaft seal. I suppose I could try pull the seal and JB welding the outer edge of the seal into the output shaft hole, but I think I'd rather just replace the whole thing and be done with it. So if anyone has on for sale let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That's good that you stopped the major leak... I'll check around the yards to see if I can find one!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
when it comes to that kinda part i disagree with using jb weld at all you dont know how the damage happened and if it is broken parts inside and you dont know it can cause more damage or worse lock up while driving it and cause an accident hurtin more ppl.

if you hit a rock out messin around and you seen it crack no prob but if it broke on the inside you have no idea what it could be cause the whole trans and axles to lock up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts