Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, hope someone has some insight. I'm trying to figure a cheap way for more travel, and this is my idea so far;
I have an '80 full size bronco that I can use for parts. Take the dual shock coil bucket and mount it to my '91 Ranger [ with stx drop brackets and extended rad arms] short course off road race truck. Use the springs from a '66-'79 f-150 that's under 6350 gvw, they are slightly less load rate and spring rate as the ranger but 4" longer. Gives me more travel and more shock. Anyone see any problems?
Richard

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would just run the STX brackets, make some extended radius arms, and run 3-4" Ranger lift coils. The F-Series coils are going to be stiff. I dont see any reason to run dual shocks.

-PlumCrazy

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been told to run at least dual shocks, and if I can, 3 or 4. The reason is shock fade after running up to 10 miles full bore [up to 50 mph] over jumps and whoops. I would like to run Ranger lift coils but it's a money thing. Here's some data on coils that I found.

'91 ranger; i.d. 3.5" / bar dia. .671" / install ht. 10.5" / load rate 1447# / spring rate 430# / free ht. 13.75"
'66-79 f-series
under 6350; i.d. 4.0" / .671" / 13" / 1330# / 271# / 17.5"

From the numbers it looks like the f-series is less stiff than the ranger.
Thanks for the quick response,
Richard

·
Registered
712 Posts
mmmmmm very good info what is the unloaded hight of the springs becouse i picked up a set 4 or 6 inch bronco front spring at the swap meat for $50 and im wondering what a stock one's hight is there pritty long but i wasent passitive if they where lift springs or not i wont to put them on the front of my bronco II.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cvalcore said:
mmmmmm very good info what is the unloaded hight of the springs becouse i picked up a set 4 or 6 inch bronco front spring at the swap meat for $50 and im wondering what a stock one's hight is there pritty long but i wasent passitive if they where lift springs or not i wont to put them on the front of my bronco II.
Finally found site;
http://www.101part.com/coilsprings/Moog_Coil_Springs.htm
http://www.101part.com/coilspring.htm
It's been awhile since I played with this site.
What I did is find the truck I have to take springs from in 2nd link, then input p/n into 1st link to find spring info.
Hope this helps,
Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts