Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sure most of you remember my 1988 2wd ranger

its a 2.9, 5spd, but i think the slave is gone in the trans. the cab is in good shape, but the bed is gone to the scrap yard. its a solid truck, and i want to put a v8 in a first gen ranger, so i thought about doing it with this truck. the engine is already all unhooked (planned to take off the cab for another project) so i only got to unbolt the motor mounts and transmission and pull it out.

if i do the swap it will be a carb for sure. so this is where i am lost, wondering how hard it will be to convert the efi truck to run a carb engine. i know where there is a 83 f150 and im pretty sure it has a 302, so i figured if i took all the wiring harness and computer out of the ranger, and take everything from the f150 and swap into the ranger, it should work right?

also im wondering if its worth my while to do all this work, and still only be 2wd. i dont want to lower it, but i dont see much point to lift it. id like to keep it stock height maybe level it out a bit, and eventually go prerunner style. is it any more work to swap a v8 into a 4wd than a 4wd, or vice versa?
all input is helpful so fire away

edit; also id like to know the parts that are a MUST to buy, i know ill need the oil filter relocation kit, and i will make the motor mounts from the 2.9 ones like it shows in the tech library, and i think the f150 oil pan will work right? and what about the 83 f150 stock exhaust manifolds? i know the 70s manifolds will work, not sure if the early 80s are the same.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I would think swapping a carb into an EFI would be easier than the other way around. I would recommend dropping the truck about 2 inches, get a 9" rear axle and some wide tires on the back. Would look sick man!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rngrdanny22 said:
I would think swapping a carb into an EFI would be easier than the other way around. I would recommend dropping the truck about 2 inches, get a 9" rear axle and some wide tires on the back. Would look sick man!
if anything the front will be lowered and the rear would be left stock height with like 315/55s

1 - 4 of 4 Posts