Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 01 3.0 auto that the guy i got it from said it had a shift solenoid problem. anyway i took off the pan to see about changing out the solenoid and discovered 6 of them i asked here if anyone could tell me which one i need to change but got no answers so i just changed the filter and added new mercon fluid. then i set the truck on the wheels and a few days later i started it and tried to get out of the garage and it did not want to move well i had the box off it so i figure it was slipping on the snow and ice so i did manage to get it out of the way. then i discovered it was low on fluid. i did not measure the fluid i took out figuring with a filter change and the fluid in the pan all i needed was to add the recommended amount. 4 qts. so i added the fluid that brought it back to the full mark running in park but it still did not want to move well it felt like it was slipping.

so tell me if you can the 2 bolts sticking out the side by the linkage look like band adjusters? my guess is one for reverse and one for the forward gears. how will i adjust these i found the bands on the internet and they look like they are squeezed so i'm thinking these bolts get tightened and if so how tight do i make them. the last transmission i did on a fore 30 years ago i had to tighten them snug and then back out 3/4 turn. is that still true? thanks if i did more damage then i guess another trans is in order. i did discover the pan was not as tight as it maybe should have been but the rubber gaskets are hard to determine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well i googled this and fund the adjusters i did were not what i asked about. turns out the forward and reverse adjustment is in the pan. also i found i could very well have a blown seal under the valve body so i will take the pan off and double check to see if that is damaged. if it is i will try replacing that and if that still fails a rebuilt is in store.

also discovered what the solenoids were i asked but no one could answer the front one was lock up and the last one was high pressure the center and other side were shifting solenoids.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well i googled this and fund the adjusters i did were not what i asked about. turns out the forward and reverse adjustment is in the pan. also i found i could very well have a blown seal under the valve body so i will take the pan off and double check to see if that is damaged. if it is i will try replacing that and if that still fails a rebuilt is in store.

also discovered what the solenoids were i asked but no one could answer the front one was lock up and the last one was high pressure the center and other side were shifting solenoids.
The gasket between the valve body is where to start, you can also test the solenoids with 12v battery...i had the same problem few weeks back, sad but my gasket was ok...pulled trans had local guy rebuild it $1200

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2000 Ranger that won't shift through the gears. Need to find the speed sensor, can anyone help me locate it. Also my speedometer cable works intermittently any ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts