Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my way up I-64 for Thanksgiving I got a check engine light near Charlottesville. I filled up in town and also saw I got 16 mpg instead of the normal 21 I get on the highway. Truck ran fine so I decided to just get it checked anyways at Advanced Auto.

We determined that the truck's Camshaft Positioning Sensor was going out so I got another for $25. Took me a while to find the damn thing since I was dumb enough to not look at the back of the engine. I found it and replaced it in less that 2 minutes.

Truck runs the same but I am once again getting 21 mpg on the highway. Im just happy the sensor didnt go completely out because a failed CPS can cause the truck to run very rough at lower rpm's and will also keep the engine from starting.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
good info to know did you see the post i left about a vac leak causing a misfire

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Glad it was an easy fix! Could you get a pic of the sensor in case someone else runs into this issue?

·
Registered
583 Posts
rngrdanny22 said:
Glad it was an easy fix! Could you get a pic of the sensor in case someone else runs into this issue?
My bet is on he'll get the pic, but lost the cord or somehow can't get the pics on photobucket. lol. He has a trend of doing that. 8)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
ya but he can send them from his phone to photobucket now so no need to bs around now lol

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im feeling some sarcasm here..... HAHA, im going out now to take pics. Ill have the pics up in 30 minutes..... time me!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heres the original CPS that I still have for some reason...lol

Inside with the magnet that picks up the camshaft position

View from above the rear of engine at CPS

After I pull back some of the harness you can see the entire CPS. You need a 7/32 socket to get the screws out and the electronics simply unplug.

Ally you gotta do is take the screws out (on the 3.0 the screws are made to where they can not be separated from the CPS so you dont drop them), unplug the electronics, and put the new one in.

I believe that took me about 23 minutes or so from my last post to get the pictures up.... Impressed? HAHA

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Nice! 21 minutes! LOL ;D

Good pics man. I might even add it up as a tech article if that's cool with you!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know im cool with that! Any little bit of info will help for future references!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts