Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I love autocad. I'm not very good, but I love playing with it. Anyway, here is my newest creation. It's a bolt on Trac Bar Mount plate for the 80's to '97 ranger. It uses the factory power steering bolt holes and you can use any aftermarket or homemade creation to weld to this. I used a 6" wide, 1/4" piece of flatbar. Use another piece of 1 3/4" x 6" flatbar to bolt to the bottle of the chassis. Weld the 2 pieces of flatbar together. You now have a removeable track bar mount and you didn't have to weld your frame. This is the most important part of an SAS. I know where I am from, ANY welding to the chassis renders a vehicle unfit (READ THIS JEFF!!!). I'm sure other provinces/states have similar rules. The less attention we draw, the better right?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That's exactly what I was planning on doing with my SAS!

I'm going to make a plate very similar and weld my drop bracket to the plate. The plate would then bolt onto the frame. I (like yourself) am trying to avoid welding ANYTHING to the frame. Everything I've done so far has bolted into place!

Thanks for the measurements!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem. Welding to the frame actually weakens it.. If you are gonna stress it by doing anything hard core, you don't want it weakened. These measurements have been confirmed on a 1990 Ranger, 1993 Ranger and whatever Jeff / Fordzilla has today :p In case it's kinda strange to visualize, here's my layout before I drill it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before anyone tries to do this you will need a GOOD compass, ruler and a good center punch. I recommend a Staedtler compass. I got mine from Staples and it's worked great. Also the center punch should be a automatic one. Hard to get accurate with a hammer and punch. If you plan to make brackets that are even remotely decent, you NEED these cheap tools. Ooops, how could I forget.. 2" wide masking tape.. 1" wide will do in a pinch:)

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
How thick is the steel plate you're using?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1/4" thick plate. 6" wide by 12"long. I'll trim it to the length I want it when it's bolted up.

I was just on TMR Customs website and found a nice addition to this plate:

http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_22_62&products_id=958

You can't buy the steel and cut it yourself for this price. Unless you have a stockpile of steel, then go ahead. For me, I'll be buying this and weld it to my plate. It'll be a very nice track bar drop bracket then.:)

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I have something very similar to that bracket but it's about 4" taller with a series of 4 mounting holes for adjustments. I'm planning to weld it to the steel plate.

It's like you're reading my mind right now... LOL

Oh, here's a picture of my bracket:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. The TMR drop bracket lowers 3.5 inches. I need 4". Add the 1/4" plate to the bottom of the chassis and I'm almost there.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'm actually planning to run a plate along the bottom of the channel as well. There will be 2 bolts holding it in from the bottom of the frame.

I figure since the pressure will be pushing the bracket out away from the truck, it could use a little support along the bottom to distribute the pressure away from just the 3 bolts. What do you think?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have to bolt to the bottom of the frame. I mention that in my first post. I seriously doubt 3 7/16 bolts could take that much strain by themselves. 2 bolts through the bottom of the frame should be perfect. Just remember thr frame is reinforced in that area. Be sure to have lots of drill bits or a good sharpener.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
LOL... I've already gone through 3 drill bits getting my new transmission/radius arm crossmember done!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've only used up 2 on my full sas... Including removing every rivit on the truck. Where are you getting the bits?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
typically I get them from lowe's. what type of bits are you using? have a link?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Haha Gary i love reading your posts. My confirmation was done on a 89 BII, and im stealing your idea to make one for my b2, or im just gonna pay you to make me one. yeah i like that 2nd option better

1 - 14 of 14 Posts