Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the old one off and the new Black Chrome one swaped out today in 35 degree temps! Took about an hour but looks great!

Heres the pics from stock to new...

Old cover

Draining stock fluid with 75,000 miles on it...

Differential all opened up and still draining

Cleaning out the remaining fluid and cleaning gunk with brake parts cleaner

Cleaned differential

New cover on!

Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 fluid going in!

Diff cover on and running great!

This is what it looks like fron half a car length back

So im very happy with how the new Black Chrome looks on the axle and the royal purple in it should be awesome for the truck's health and life.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few numbers on how much the project cost too...

New steel diff cover: $18.00
Cover Black Chromed: $65.00
3 Quarts of RP 75W-90: $60.00
Silicone Gasket: $ 7.00
-------------------------------
Total Cost: $150.00

Now a cheap project but looks good to me and also it would have never cost this much if i just used normal gear oil. Could have gotten 3 quarts of normal oil for about $25.00 but figured I would invest in the best stuff out there! Only the best goes in my Ranger! Now i just gotta put the RP tranny fluid in when i do a drain of it.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, I just dont have $200 to throw into the L/S right now! LOL... I can always drain it, put a L/S in, and put the RP back into it... save me $60 on fluid! Later on down the road i will probably mask up the cover an do a good undercoat of the axle and all!

·
Registered
711 Posts
[quote

New steel diff cover: $18.00
Cover Black Chromed: $65.00
3 Quarts of RP 75W-90: $60.00
Silicone Gasket: $ 7.00
-------------------------------
Total Cost: $140.00

[/quote]
nice try! that equals $150 bro! ;)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yeah, haha... whoops! And ive got a calculus exam tonight! Crap! HAHA. Thanks rico! I fixed it!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Looks much better than stock! Not too bad on price considering the covers I'm hoping to get for my D44's are about $150/each!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had thought about getting one of the nicer design covers for the 8.8 but then i decided to just go with a stock style steel cover and black chrome it. I get a slight discount at the powdercoating shop for all powdercoat and chrome plating jobs since im in the mustang club here.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
lookin good man

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yup yup! My Edge edition came stock with the bigger front and rear Ford Racing sway bars!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ive driven a edge without it and it isnt that much different. Im sure once I lower it one day and turn it into my fun track truck that the sway bars will be an asset!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts