Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, so i wasnt sure where to put this so hopefully admin will be thankfull i put it here! haha anyway, i was thinking about wanting a bigger as tank for the truck, im pretty sure that they make them for rangers, i mean i dont see why not, and what im talking about are the tanks/boxes (some look like the diamondplate toolboxes) that hold more gas so i dont have to fill up as much,i can shop around for gas, and to add weight to the back. Just wondering if anyones done this, if itd fit under a tonneau, general input stuff. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yeah, you could always add an alternate fuel cell or something!

I remember the trucks made in the late 70's and into the 80's had multiple gas tanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BADINTEN said:
i did add one in the bed but im lookin into adding one in the spare tire area.
whered you buy it? how much does it hold? howd you hook it up? pics! so many questions haha

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
no pics it was a while ago for the bed one. but look at it this way the more fuel you add the more weight there is. if you add to much weight you loss mpg. i did love the extra fuel and it was only 40 gal tank i added but it took up alot of bed space and for me not worth it. after joining this site i have learned alot about bronco II ( thanks you guys lol). i have found out that some of the bronco had a bigger tanks than the rangers so im lookin for one after i get it i will have more info for you

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very true point sir, very true, i wasnt looking at going tooo bigg, but alright, cant wait to see the BII tank

·
Registered
984 Posts
not real sure on the frame diff between the first gen and your truck but my 83 had a two tank set up and the back tank is fairly small i would think it would fit perfect in the back. where the spare is. look around the junk yards at the imports , they came with small tanks that could be easily hooked up as a second tank. think out of the box boys. 8). just remember you are dealing with a potential bomb so be very careful when dealing with fuel tanks and related parts. hate to see any one get all burnt up

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Some of the early model rangers actually came with an auxillary tank that fit in the spare tire location... it was kinda small (only about 8 gallons or so)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
some one else came up with this not me i stoled it from a diff site. 8) The{ Fore-aft length of the Bronco2 tank interferes with the upper
left shock mount on a shortbox (incl supercab) Rangers.

Basically the front crossmember that the tank is mounted to needs
to go right where the upper shock mount allready is.

I had several years with a bare supercab frame a bronco2
tank & Crossmembers to study this problem and I came up
empty on a solution.

And that is without adressing two other problems with the Bronco2
fuel tank...

1)the filler pipe location in the tank aims the fuel filler neck
DIRECTLY at the middle bed mount.

2)The "penthouse" of the tank sticks up above the top of the tank
enough to require a 2" body life AND sectioning of one of the deck
support crossmembers on the underside of the bed.

So on my personal truck I used the rear tank from a dualie
rear wheel (narrow frame F350/450).
1)This tank fits perfectly between the Ranger frame rails on my supercab.
2)The fuel filler neck in the tank is located PERFECTLY to line up with the clearance ramp in the deck for the filler hose.
3)Installing this tank only required a 1" body lift but still required sectioning
of a deck support crossmember.

It has one additional benefit over a bronco2 tank... like the main tank in a
gen2 or gen3 Ranger it's PLASTIC and plastic tanks have one enormous
advanage over the steel ones.... plastic doesn't rust. yeah, it's only a
19-20gallon tank (from dry to topped up to "standing fuel in the filler pipe"
I've gotten 21.55 gallons into it), but it's better than nothing.

If you have a long box ranger the 23gallon bronco2 tank is about
as smooth an install as can be desired, as far as installing bronco2
crossmembers, but I never examined the filler pipe location issue on
the long box, as the one longbox truck where I helped a guy install
a bronco2 ank in had a flatbed on it....

Ditto for the tank to underbed clearance issue...}

again i ripped this from a diff site but it is good info for this topic. allan d from trs gets the credit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts