Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a replacement for a 10,000# winch that was stolen. This new one didn't come with a receiver mount like the last one. So I decided to make one with some scavenged metal that I got dumpster diving. Now don't go dumpster diving without asking permission first, as that's considered stealing.
I've noticed that the cable likes winding up on one side most times so I decided to try to do something about this. I made the mount swivel ~ 45 degrees. And then I had a eureka moment and decided to make an arm that will guide the cable as it is being wrapped up. I'll only use this once I've gotten unstuck, as I don't like the idea of a cable snapping while I'm standing in front of it. The idea is to wind the cable and use the e-brake to put a little tension on it as it's winding.
Here's some pics;
I used 1/4" plate for the main portion [the bend was already there], the uprights are 7/16" angle and the holes are tapped for the fair-lead

test fit

I will round the end of this piece of 3/4" pipe

and attach it to this

The pipe with the J-hook that guides the cable will go threw a hole in the top bar on the mount; the end of the coat hanger wire is in that hole

I'll update in a few days and tell you how it works,

Richard

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It will be a few days before I test as I have to clean house in prep for the wife coming home from holidays. Wish me luck,

Richard

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like I survived the house inspection ;) unfortunately my winch mount didn't work like I had hoped. I don't have a lot of experience with winches which may be apparent to those that do, thanks for holding your comments :) I had thought that the cable would have a little tension when pulling it out, but it free spools readily and the cable bird-nests immediately. So the arm guiding the cable seems redundant, but if you forgot to bring leather gloves it may save the hands once the cable has a few strands that break. Another thing I noticed, I should have another pivot on the horizontal as the winch won't mount won't turn freely if the cable isn't directly parallel with the mount base. I'll add the pivot which should allow the mount to turn freely. At the very least, I learned a little more about how winches and winching works.

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts