Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
The TTB should be bolted on, but I believe there are a few components that are held on with rivets...

There are a few different ways a solid axle can attach, but the two most common are through the use of leaf springs or coil springs.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
They move the mounts to the axle forward... this would cause them to need a longer front driveshaft

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
more than likely... it really depends on how wide the axles are... some people choose axles that are for a full-width truck and it makes the tires stick way out from the fenders

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did anyone else take apart the d35 when taking it out of the explorer? Do i use the front explorer driveshaft or bronco for the D35 swap?

these are the things i am going to do along with the swap:

pack bearings
gear box rebuild
shorten driveshafts
brake pads
sway bar quick disconects
coil spacers
add a leaf

any other parts i need for the swap?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
seems like you pretty much have it covered...

I would keep your current driveshaft as you probably have a CV style transfer case whereas the Explorer probably used a U-Joint.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
well your asking some very good ????????? first off yes if you move the wheel base you will have to trim the fenders however it all depends on the tires you put on after its all together. second after you get the axle in you will then need to decide what one looks to be easyer to put in (dont forget to think of the strength of the two drive shafts what one is stronger). as for the rest you seem to have it coverd. remember when you repack them bearings to clean them out really good and the race the part that the bearings sit in

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you buy new manual locking hubs, do they come with any parts in them? or are they expecting you to use your old ones? What comes in the auto to manual kit?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
the kit should include the hub assembly and the ring set

·
Registered
559 Posts
No, it comes with a complete hub. It has all the guts in it and lubed up. The only thing you have to but seperate is the spindle nuts. The stock nuts are too big arounf to fit in the hub. The conversion nuts require a special axle nut socket that has 4 teeth on it.

here are some pics of how the hub comes. Those are conversion nuts next to it.

-plumcrazy

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Somewhere i read, that somebody had a ranger with auto locking hubs and one with manual locking hubs. He asked if he could take the manual hubs and put them on his auto locking truck without a kit. And somebody said yes. How is that possible.

·
Registered
559 Posts
dyllanvenezio said:
Somewhere i read, that somebody had a ranger with auto locking hubs and one with manual locking hubs. He asked if he could take the manual hubs and put them on his auto locking truck without a kit. And somebody said yes. How is that possible.
You would have swap the spindle nuts. I am pretty sure an auto hub will work with either nuts, but the manual hub will only work with the conversion nuts.

·
Registered
559 Posts
dyllanvenezio said:
At the moment i am regretting my axle choice, because it has auto hubs, I dont feel like buying expensive things.
What axle do you have?

I have a set of conversion nuts and an almost new Warn hub for a D28 I am looking to sell.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
dyllanvenezio said:
At the moment i am regretting my axle choice, because it has auto hubs, I dont feel like buying expensive things.
haha... I feel ya man!

The auto hubs arent THAT bad... mine lasted for a good year or two... then one locked up :(

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I broke one on my D28, so maybe im just paranoid. Now i have a D35. I would love to buy some for the D35. Do D28 hubs work on the D35? cause if they do i have an extra auto hub.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I dont think they will... I believe the diameter is smaller on the D28, but I could be wrong...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts