Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new here. I have a 1990 ranger xlt 4x4. It has an m5r1 and a 2.9 v6.
It's long bed regular cab, if that would matter. I am milking the 2.9 along, but it has a bad case of sitting sickness, (abut 3 years) from before I got it. From what I have seen 2.9 long blocks are pretty high, and the engine is my least favorite part of the truck. I just recently saw a cummins b3.3 in a street broom at work, and my first though was, "that would fit". I looked it up, and adapter plates are availible if I get an f150 m5r2 with the sbf bell housing. So the question is this. I know an 8.8 is stong enough out back, (85 hp and 210 lb of torque), and a bolt in from a 4.0 ranger/explorer. I just wonder about up front. The b3.3 weighs 550-600 lb, and has all that diesel torque. I would want to go up from the dana 28 I know, but how much do you guys think? Is the bolt in d35 ttb stout enough? Or do I need to look at an f150 ttb/strait axle? I am not looking to build a rock crusher, but I do like off road, like two tracks out west and mild crawling.
I doubt I will ever go beyond a 31" tire though, and a couple inches of lift. I will be driving it daily, and I know if I have the power I will use it. Lol. Thanks for any input.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts