·
Registered
1,321 Posts
this is nuts man keep up the good work your doin a great job

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey, sloue and BADINTEN, thanks for the input. I checked that site, good info but it never mentioned solid mounting the cab. That's why I want ALL input. I've already thought of another reason for solid mounting the cab - lower center of gravity = quicker corners.Can I get rid of the rubber and not put anything back? I'll look tomorrow but input is welcomed. Any other ideas that I can incorporate would be great, thanks in advance. If I have time I might channel the body, I'll have to see how feasible that is.
The 7.5 gears will be kept as spares for the b-II once I put the d-35 and 8.8 in ( probably next year). I would think those 33" paddle tires would be way harder on the 7.5 than my 31" baja claws.
Richard

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Had to take the weekend for the honeydo. Back at the truck tomorrow, can't wait, I hate stopping in the middle. If I have any pics worth looking at I'll post.
Richard

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Day 3

Removed cab chrome (finally figured out how to use tool after wrecking 1 piece), remove drivers seat (the grinder is my friend again on 3 of 4 bolts),door panels, dash pad , instrument cluster, all glass, inner door skins (metal), and rug; 6 hrs

Inner door skin removed

Rust

Salvage/garbage pile

Passenger seat with electric lumbar support and (never seen before, how rare is this?) adjustable thigh support and extend-able leg support.

Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
ill buy those seats lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
i have never seen them seats before either they might be worth something to the right person. it look like you have a little bit of cancer there.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I checked one of my other trucks and it had the same seats minus the adjustable thigh supports.
Yes, too much cancer. I've changed my mind again;

It's a '90 ranger stx that was in a roll-over ( didn't even realize it was a stx till today, other wise I probably would have used it right away), with a 4.0l, 5-speed, electric transfer case, 3.73 l/s, auto hubs, 114" w.b., and no rust :)
I've made plans to cut the tops off the two trucks and put the good one on the '90. I measured down from the drip rail 10" and taped the cut line on the door and a-pillar

Then swapped the doors onto the '90

And marked both of the back of the cabs to cut at the body line. one cab 3/4" higher than the other so it slides in from the top

Hope that made sense.
Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
man i wish i could make progres and stick to one project like you :'( haha

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey all,
Got the roof cut off.

My buddy figures I shouldn't put the other roof on 'cause of lack of head room, I need 3" between helmet and top of cab. I'm 6'3". I would prefer to put top of cab on but I'll see; need to research this.
With no cab top;
Pros :
less weight
headroom
less work
Cons:
looks

Seems this stx doesn't have factory lift :(. I guess its just a badge and/or a trim package after '87/'88, who knows?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
first off i dont know if you have the room to pull the rubbers on the mounts the cab might not sit on the mounts or clear the trans or some wires stuff like that. as far as the paddles for my truck im welding the spider gears for a spool and one day ill weld on some supports just cuz i have the metal laying around.

as for the roof you might have to put it back on per the rules but you just have to look into it if all else fails maybe you can raise the roof higher lol. if you need anymore help but hit us up more than happy to help we all are bro.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm thinking of a way I can bolt it on and off- best of both worlds- if the cage doesn't interfere.
Richard

·
Registered
984 Posts
alwaysFlOoReD said:
I'm thinking of a way I can bolt it on and off- best of both worlds- if the cage doesn't interfere.
Richard
sounds cool but , IMO i want that weld together and welded to the cage. bolt it up and roll what keeping the roof plier from tearing out and stabbing you in the face. i raced some round round and have built a couple cars and rolled them YOU WANT THAT CAB ATTACHED TO THE CAGE once the cage is attached to the frame. ;) a car with an improper cage is more dangerous than one with out.just add a inch or so in the pilers to bring it all up to fit you. they did it for waltrip.and thats how we always started a race car was by cutting the roof off then welding it back . sorry my 2 cent again .

21 - 40 of 347 Posts