Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Nice progress man! 8)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am one lucky son of a gun...

Besides getting the solid link extended ...

and getting it hooked up to the frame rail, may still have to move it up about another inch or so,

I just happened to get over to "Better Off Road" to get the right size pipe to do the extension and found one of these sitting on the shelf -

A 31 spline 8.8 trac loc differential (125$), definitely a way to remember Black Friday for years to come. The only problem is that the other differential was just put back together, sealed up and topped off with new fluid. Just a simple matter of draining and dissassembly, all over again. Once this gets put in, little chance of ever having to mess with the rear end for a very long time...

The other bit of great news is that i was up in Bellingham to drop off the drive line to get modified, thinking that no one has the adapter ujoint anywhere, and they just happened to have one sitting on the shelf. Almost had to fork over $135 for the welding job with the new ujoint. They only charged $35 for the new joint and install.

Time to get back to work...

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Nice deals man! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
984 Posts
wow the gods of traction where smiling on you that day 8) nice score ,hazing the hides in stereo is why to cool >:?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
At best guess, keeping the fingers crossed, plan on getting it out of the garage by next week if all else goes well. Probably feel like the handling of the mustang all over again :p...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
;D
Performed a complete teardown and reassembly of the newly acquired trac loc differential to check for wear, it needed to be dissassembled until the ring gear and bearings were installed. Found out that the friendly folks down at Better Off Road also had the $400 tool for extracating the bearing without destroying them. Didn't really charge anything for the service, offered though.

The only thing worse than taking one apart is getting that darned spring squashed back in without losing your sanity.

Got a spare 8.8 open differential, real cheap if anyone needs one...

Wheeled the truck out of the garage finally after all the struggle and started doing the final few checks prior to getting the bed back on.

Went to Schucks/Oreilies to see about getting the left side Ebrake cable ordered, could take a while, just like the last one.

Used the engine lift to get the bed back on requiring only one person and a little luck. Torqued down the bolts and got the rear lights hooked back up, forgot about the fuel hose until I got over to fill up, Woops. Small issue, the bigger issue is that as soon as I left the driveway, it was a hell of a lot smoother on the brakes and no slop when going slow on the backroads. Found that the tires are about 1 inch inside the fender, didn't change the stance much.

THIS FREAKIN ROCKS..

Just hope it stays together for the next 20 or so years.

·
Registered
984 Posts
you are so right about that . lets see it in action now ;D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
8)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
BADINTEN said:
hell ya burnout vid come on
It's already in the works, lookin at getting a line blocker for the rear brakes to keep from getting more smoke from the clutch than the tires.

Drove it for about 80 miles today and did a real nice even peal out with a little bit of fishtailing, dam it was an awesome feeling.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts