Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, got the first issue with the new daily driver. Cranked the truck up the other day and noticed that the airbag light was flashing on and off.

I did a little research and found out that the flashing is actually a code. It will flash a set number of times, pause, and then flash another set number of times.

So far this is what I've figured:

Flashes 4 times
Stops
Flashes 6 times

I'm assuming this means it is airbag code 46 correct? I've seen that it is the seatbelt pretensioner for the airbags. When the airbags deploy, there is a mechanism under the seat that tightens the seatbelt.

Has anyone ever experience this code? How did you fix it? Did it require replacement parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I got access to alldata and when I go to a pinpoint test for that code, it brings to a flow chart that requires a scantool. Go figure. But the code name is:
DRIVER PRETENSIONER CIRCUIT RESISTANCE HIGH OR LOW.
Then I found a description of how it works and possible causes.
Normal Operation
The Restraints Control Module (RCM) monitors the resistance of the circuit to the driver belt pretensioner. When the RCM detects a resistance that is out of the expected range (high or low) it will set Lamp Fault Code (LFC) 46 and Diagnostic Test Code (DTC) B1885 or B1877.

Possible Causes
An out of range resistance on the driver belt pretensioner circuit can be caused by:

* wiring, terminals, or connectors.
* out of range resistance on the driver belt pretensioner.
* an RCM internal concern.

Hopefully this helps at least a little bit.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I notice it says connectors.... I wonder if the connector just came loose under the seat... its a long shot but worth a check!

Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
the shitty part about them belts is after they go off you have to replace the buckle it cracks and bad. i had a set and hooked a car bat to them and wow that some crazy **** lol. now depending on what you hit to set it off in the first place you might not be too worried about the seat beats lol. so to start i would pull the pass seat and see whats up

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm gonna check it out in the morning... I'll let you guys know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I finally found some time to try and get this fixed. I looked under the seat and found the connector for the pretensioner (under the bottom, near the back of the driver seat).

I unplugged it and blew it out to see if there was any dust inside.

I plugged it back in, and cranked the truck up. NO MORE LIGHT! YAY!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since it's located on the back of the seat, it could have easily been hit when I threw something in the back of the truck. Maybe it was a little loose or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts