Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a coolant leak in my ranger not really sure where it is coming from. I assume it is coming from the intake gasket kind of dripping down the back side of the motor it has been doing this since about a month after i bought it. The truck still runs good even though i have this little problem which leads me to believe it is not a head gasket runs at normal operating temp and what not. Just recently one of my valve cover gaskets started leaking a little bit of oil also. And since the valve cover gasket is leaking i have to pull the fuel rail off anyways to even get at the valve covers since i have to do this i might as well replace the intake gasket while i am at it. But my question is i don't really know what i need for a intake gasket as there is two different parts links provided below to the parts.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Felpro-Intake-Manifold-Gasket/1997-Ford-Ranger-4WD/_/N-j915jZ93xym?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=intake+gasket&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=866090_259703_0_
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Felpro-Intake-Manifold-Gasket/1997-Ford-Ranger-4WD/_/N-j915jZ93xym?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=intake+gasket&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=390671_124343_5297_
Also i am replacing the water pump and was thinking about maybe doing the head gaskets while im at it how big of a job is all of this?. Thanks Jeff.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You can buy a ultraviolet fluid that you can put in the system , then use a black light to find leaks. This works for oil as well as rad fluid, actually it works for all fluids, just double check my info by reading the directions on the back of the can.
It probably wouldn't be that much more work to do the head gasket, BUT I don't fix whats not broke. A leakdown tester will find whats wrong with your motor, but you also need a compressor to use it.
Good luck,

Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See that is the thing i tried the ultra violet coolant die and bought a black light also still couldn't find the leak. What is a leak down tester?. I think for now i will just replace the intake gasket and the valve cover gaskets. Not going to mess with the head gaskets because then you have to get the heads pressure tested and what not that is a lot of $$$.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
A leak-down tester is used to find what percentage of air is leaking from your motor and where from. There are a couple of designs, the two gauge is better. 100 psi is supplied to a cylinder while at top dead center and the gauge is read to see how much leakage is present. You listen or look at the intake, exhaust, rad, oil fill hole for signs of air escaping, and that will tell you what shape your motor is in. I'm not 100% sure of the values but 0 to 10% would be very, very good, as in race motor good. 10 to 30% average, and over 30% getting tired. Along with a compression test, you can get a very good idea of what shape a motor is in and where the problems are.

Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the tool i need is called a leak down tester? where can i get it from?. As far as the shape of the motor i think it is in really good shape yet mechanically only 122 thousand miles on it plenty of power burns 0 oil and coolant.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I made mine but have seen them from snap-on and mac tools. I have also seen them at princess auto in Canada - harbor freight equivalent. Maybe napa or other big auto parts place or [in Canada] KMS tools.

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
just to add to this i have seen a few different leak down tester. some are for the spark plug hole and other you put on the radiator cap i recommend the radiator cap one i use them all the time and you dont pump that one up to 100 more like 15 or 18 pounds depending on the cap pressure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts