Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a '98 ranger driveshaft lined up. It's an hour away from me. I don't want to drive 2 hours for no reason if someone can answer me on here. My question is in regards to the slip yoke in the driveshaft. As it sits a '98+ 4x4 driveshaft sits 59" u-joint to u-joint. This is on center confirmed by the seller and one member on here. My truck is 60 3/4" u-joint to u-joint. Do you guys think the slip yoke can sit out that extra 1 3/4" safely? I have stiff springs, not a huge amount of articulation.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
How did you measure your driveshaft? Remember, yours actually goes horizontal to the carrier bearing and then down to the axle... the 98+ shaft will go straight from the transfer case down to the axle.

I didn't have to pull out the yoke any when I swapped my 97 axle for a 4x4 '99 axle... If anything, it was a tighter fit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. I don't have a carrier bearing. Took it out and put in a locally made shaft... There lies my problem.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would undo the back and push the drive shaft forward while making a measurement. Then drop the shaft totally so you can see how much different it would be. I feel that the manufacturer would have a safety margin of a least 100% so you would be able to get away with half of the stock engagement. This is how I [ME!!!!] would deal with this. Also some yokes are longer than others so there may be a solution in that fact.
Good luck,

Richard

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you misunderstood my problem. I had a POS shaft (1-piece) made locally, so I'm gonna toss it and replace it with a '98 shaft. The measurements on my current one piece shaft are 60 3/4" between the center of the U-Joints. A '98 shaft has 59" between U-Joints. An 1-3/4" difference in length. Rather than drive 2 hours to measure it myself, I was asking people on here if anyone knew the slip yoke safe travel.. Either by experience or from a spare sitting in their garage. It would really help me decide to make the drive or not. Unfortunately no one seems to know, so I will be driving to see myself.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
The only advice I can give is what I said before... I have a 98+ 4x4 shaft and it went in with no problems.

Be sure that it's a shaft from a 4x4. The 4x2 shafts are bigger in diameter and aluminum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts