Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought this truck with extremely low miles and I feel it's worth it to dump some deneros into it.
I want power, I've done the obvious air intake upgrade, expanded exhaust outflow to 2.5" from cat to tip adding a magnaflow in between. It's a pretty heavy truck, somewhat 3400lbs and have thought about ways of losing some.
But I really want to funk with the engine.
After research, I've found the only option for aftermarket cam is to grind the stock cam (of course adding new valve springs with titanium plates) and mill the headers. And apparently it's easier and more promising to grind the cams in the newer-than-'80s model rangers for sake of hydraulic rollers.

I don't necessarily want to ship the motor out to dump like 3k into it yet, but would rather do what I can myself before doing either that, (or dropping a 302hp.)

I also plan to widen the wheel base and add either independent suspension or a-frame suspension (forgive me if I'm using improper terminology)

There is already a small lift, but I'm considering sky jackers 4" lift with 30s, I need to look more into if they will fit without operating complications, but I definately need it taller and fatter. :]

I have this vision for my ranger, after seeing a ranger very wisely lifted and leveled so that it actually looked like an F250. (until seeing the grill.)

Any suggestions for mean power increase? And what do you think about adding an ECM?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Unless your in class racing where you have to use the original motor, I would agree with t120r; put in a small block. There were some years of Explorers [they are the same platform as a Ranger/Bronco 2/Windstar] that came with a 5.0 v-8 stock so it's a fairly easy swap.

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
The only bad thing about Rangers is that there is very little aftermarket for our motors (unless you have a 4.0 SOHC and get a supercharger). I agree with the previous posts that a V8 swap would probably be the best option. Actually, it could be cheaper with far better results.

As for the wider stance, there's the option of performing a solid axle swap for the front and finding a full-width rear axle. Your best bet would be to get the axles from a 78-79 F150.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I thought putting a ttb d-44 in would also widen the stance?

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That could work too, but IIRC it's a lot of work. I don't think it fits very well under the frame since the arms are longer.

Most people only use the knuckles from the D44 onto their D35. I'm not sure how much wider that would make the axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts