Ford Ranger Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Normal shocks should be more than adequate... I ran the shocks that came with my 8" skyjacker kit with no problems... If you want enough for flex, I would recommend going with the 6" or 8" lift Nitro Skyjackers shocks... you could probably get a part number off their website... Look for their 6" or 8" Ranger lift...

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I would get the boots... keeps the crap out of the shock assembly...

If you are going to be doing extreme offroading, that would be the only need for the reservoir shocks... normal offroading you can definitely get by with just a typical shock...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
you dont need bypass shocks it would be nice to have but not needed ans i do say get longer shocks for sure you can get just about any brand you want procomp edlebrock fabtec you name it. just get a lil long ones when im done im putting some edlebrocks on mine from a 2500hd chevy lol got them out of the junk yard for free.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yeah, you should be able to get any brand... just make sure they will fit a Ranger or BII... that way the front ones are right... they are a little different than the rear shocks in how they bolt up...

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
you got any recent pics?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Tmrw, im still at the point where i have a d35 d28 and 8.8 on the ground. The 8.8 is not ready, but the d35 is. Now all i need are the coil spacers.

OK take a look at this.

5 1/2 & 6” 4WD Stage 3 Suspension Systems for Bronco II & Ranger

•5-6” Progressive Rate Coil Springs*
•New Coil Tower Dual Shock mounts
•Rod Ended Extended Radius Arms
•HD Tranny Crossmember
•Extended Stainless Brake lines
•Drop pitman arm (fits PS only)
•Axle pivot drop brackets
•4 front shocks, 2 rear shocks, 6 shock boots
•Urethane coil pads, leveling spacer
•U-bolt kit
•Leaf Blocks, if applicable
•Complete Replacement Leaf Spring Packs
•Spring Eye Bushings

*Lift heights will vary by vehicle configuration.

PART# 5050-3 - Stage 3 Suspension, Bronco II 4WD, 5-5.5 $1829
PART# 5051-3 - Stage 3 Suspension, 83-97 Ranger 4WD, 5.5-6 $1895
PART# 5052-3 - Stage 3 Suspension, 83-97 Ranger Supercab 4WD, 5-5.5 $1895

It is the new james duff 6in lift kit, did you happen to notice the price??
Well now look at it this way.

I dont need coil buckets or dual shocks, and if i ever do i can make them later.
I can weld radius arms out of the ones i have now, i can also weld axle drop brackets.
I can use a 2 in coil spacer with my ex coils for now $40.
I can buy 4 shocks $160.
I will buy Extended brake lines, and a drop pitman arm.
I can use ex leafs, with a bii leaf, or a block or i can buy 50 dollar shackles, or extend mine.
This would bring a $1900 lift down to around 250-300 dollars.

Is it as simple as i think? Any questions, comments, or sad details i missed?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
If you have the ability to custom make some of these parts, then I say go for it!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's what my Skyjacker brackets were made from...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
At some point i may ask for pics of those, with dimensions, if you don't mind. Not yet though i have stuff to plan first. Also, if anyone has extra radius arms, from a BII or ranger up until 1990, i may consider buying them.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I think I may still have my D35 radius arms laying around...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Great, okay now for tires. Seeing as i have a perfect. brand new set of tires with like 100 miles on them, i have a problem. They are going to be too small when i put my lift on. Where can i get a set of cheep off-road tires? Like 33 or 34's. I have a set of 4 15x7 in stock bii rims, i could put them on, and i could swap back and forth.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
33's or 34's are gonna probably run a pretty penny no matter what brand you go with... what width are you looking to get? If you get a 12.50, they may not run very well on a 7" wide rim...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ok so I have a question about tire pressure, and i didnt know where else to put it. So before i got new tires, i had 205/75R15. They were really skinny, and cheap. They barely had any tread, but i never got stuck anywhere with them. Now i have new 235/75R15's all terrains(you can see them in this thread), but these seem to get stuck much easier. I dont know why.

The main question is what tire pressure should i run? I have always gone with 30-35psi off road or not. Will i do better in mud if i change that? Will i do better anywhere?

41 - 60 of 86 Posts