Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this BII at the beginning of last summer. I was looking for a full size but ended up with this one. I didn't even know how good of a find I had till a few weeks after I got it. I have a lot of plans for it, and have done some. I just thought I would start a build thread for it.

This is it a little after I bought it.

I bought it for 750, then I spent 500 to fix the a/c and have the gaskets replaced. Then the clutch for 900. All of this was before I decided to do the work myself. Then I began body work, I dont have many pics of this part. I had to buy a new driver front fender. Then I proceded to sand all of the pinstriping off, fiber glass and bondo a few spots of rust, and primer.

The primer looked good until i went mudding and power washed it... should have sanded better the first time.

Soon it began looking more like a car and less like a pos.

Here is some of the body work.

This is the new fender I bought from the local junk yard. The old one was dented pretty bad from the previous owner.

These show the holes where the tire rack used to be, filled with bondo, it is perfectly smooth.

I will need to fiber glass that spot next time i do a little body work.

When i bought it the exhaust pipe was rusted through, so i cut it off and welded this straight pipe on. I still need to get the hook of the old piece, to hold it so it stops bouncing around while i drive.

The interior has a few plans as well, but it was exceptional nice when i got it.

I have already put in a new head unit, and plan on getting new speakers.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
sweet rig! I had the unfortunate luxury of driving mine home the first time... about 10 miles... broke down twice... LOL

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine ran for a week after I bought it. Then the clutch went out... we paid 900 for a new one.

I bought it for 750, then I spent 500 to fix the a/c and have the gaskets replaced. Then the clutch. All of this was before I decided to do the work myself. Then I began body work, I dont have many pics of this part. I had to buy a new driver front fender. Then I proceded to sand all of the pinstriping off, fiber glass and bondo a few spots of rust, and primer.

Soon it began looking more like a car and less like a pos.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yeah, mine needs a ton of work too... I started sanding all the paint and pinstripes off mine, but only did the fenders and hood before I stopped a couple years ago...

I'll try and get some pics up of mine here in the next couple days... gotta go to my parents house to snap some pics... it's currently rotting away in their yard... LOL

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently got all new tires, and wheels. They came with hub caps and new lugs. I love the locking lugs ;D. The old ones were 205/75 R15's (27x8) but measured 26in. These new ones are going to become my street tires, when i get 33in mud tires. They are Goodyear Radials (all terrains). 235/75 R15, on 15x8in steel wheels.

They look a little dirty but when i clean them they look very good. Ill replace a new pic with this one, when i get one.

Last time i went wheeling i broke an auto locking hub on my driver front wheel.

When i took a look under my car i found i needed more than just hubs. My rotors were thin, pads were gone, and u-joints and outer tie rods needed replaced.

This is actually a very easy job, i will need to do an auto to manual swap, and swap in a D35 and 8.8. I'm collecting the parts for it right now.

When i bought it the front bumper was bent, and so was part of the frame, so i took off the bumper, and have plans to weld a new one, along with a rear bumper, and a roof rack (for lights, and my spare).

Then when i was pulling someone out, without the bumper i bent the other side. ???

And i found out the body mounts were bad. But was going to buy new ones soon with the new JD lift i'm buying.
One of my mounts on the front was completely gone too.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here is the list.

1. D35, 8.8, and manual hub swaps.

Break to wheel! ;D

2. Then Either the James Duff body lift with mounts, or the suspension.
3. Weld bumpers, and roof rack.
4. Finish body work, and primer.
5. Paint!!!
6. Speakers.
7. Maybe a metal dash?

Break to wheel! ;D

Cant think of anything else at the time, but im sure ill think of something.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
it's a good start! I like the tire/rim combo... I had those same rims on my ranger right after I got it

Use a BFH to fix those bumper mounts... LOL

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Big F******* Hammer... LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
You might also want to try a high lift jack to spread the bumper mounts, just have to be careful not to get one out of place.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
that could work... be really careful though

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
do you have any ideas of what style you dash will be? I assume it's gonna be a custom job?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
None yet, but ill take suggestions.

Btw im getting the new axles wed from a junk yard for 54 bucks ea. with coils leafs tie rods, radius arms, and drive shafts. Im looking for an explorer, with manual hubs, 3.73 unless of coarse they happen to have rare 4.10s, and ill check the whole brake system out too.

I need help with colors. I want to have the coils, sway bars, leafs, axles, and shocks, be painted a color that will stand out. Im thinking the body will be cherry red, or black, and i may paint the chrome grill and mirrors also.

This is one idea i came up with.

Body: black
Coils leafs sway bars and bumpers: blue
Shocks grill: white

mirrors windshield trim: i have no idea

please help?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That's a really good deal on both the axles! especially with all that comes with them.

I would go with:

body: white
grill, coils, leafs, sways: blue

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Wow! Looks loads better!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Being a Georgia fan deffinently like the second set you posted, plus you can never go wrong with a red and black combo.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
^^^ hell yeah! paint the outside black!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts