Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought a 86 2.9 4x4 a4ld ranger yesterday. she dont start and needs a cab, other than that she has $1900 worth of new parts
and i already have a 88 2.9 2wd ranger good shape 3"BL
I am going to park both of them side by side in my garden. and strip off both cabs, all gas lines, gas tank, all hoses and lines and everything that can come off the frame. i think im going to leave the motor as it is. im going to sand and paint the frame of the 4x4 and put all the good lines, pump/filters and everything from the 2wd back on the 4x4 and then put the good cab back on the 4x4. i also have a bunch of extra parts ive been saving up which i will get pics of including:

FM145 5spd 4X4 trans
Roll bar
Brush Guard
(possibly) Gen 2 swap parts
3" body lift
245/85/16 Dayton Timberline MudTerrains
CB Radio
Bucket Seats
Doors with the swing open vent window

and most of that should work out all to be my dream truck
im really determined to keep this project going and not back out like most of the time. I will post pics of the progress and the spare parts as soon as i get a chance. the project will probably be starting monday, or as soon as i can bring the new ranger back home to the 2wd ranger and my shed so i can get them side by side and start stripping them.

here is the 2wd that will be donating the cab and lots of other parts:

the 4x4:

holyfords truck will be a big inspiration:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm waiting already, get to work ;) Should be a great truck when done :exclaim:
Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can i use the wiring harness from the 88 2wd to put on the 4x4? its still a 2.9, and the 4x4 will be a manual trans and tcase and the 2wd had manual trans too. so i should be good shouldnt i?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I've not done it. I'd compare plug ends and see what you come up with.
Good luck, Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
somewhat of an update. brought the ranger home and put her next to the shed, also brought the 2wd one up next to the 4x4 so now there right next to eachother by the shed. tomorrow morning i should get some done
funny story of when i brought the ranger home. me an my buddy was bored so we drove over to my garage an hooked the chain up to the ranger and started out the driveway to tow her home.. all was going well. got out on the road, and sounded like somethin falling off. oh well i would look up in my buddys mirror an see him shitting his pants laughin, an so was i because something was hanging down off her, and there was nothing but a trail of rust coming from behind her on the pavement. so anyways i didnt pay much attention to whatever it was that was dinging and draging on the pavement. so as soon as we pulled in my driveway at my house, i got out and looked, and here was the rear driveshaft, disconnected from the transmission hanging down on the ground. talk about sketchy. its a good thing she didnt hook in a pot hole or i would of brought up solid or the rear end come on out from under her hahaha. oh well i put it up with a bungy cord long enough for me to get in my driveway, put her next to my shed, pushed my b2 back where the 79 used to be, towed out the 2wd an put her next to the 4x4 an left. so tomorrow morning around 9am ill be going over and starting the tear down

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
today i picked me up a D35 and 8.8. i think its a 27 spline 8.8 though because its from a ranger, the guy i got the axles from had the rear in the explorer but i didnt want to have to take it out while the other one was just sitting on the ground next to it already out. and i didnt really wanna have to put the spring perches on top of the axle since this one was already out. he made sure it was an 8.8 since i wasnt sure because where its from a ranger and not all rangers had 8.8s but he said he was sure and it has a plastic diff cover so he said that only came on 8.8s anyways. can anyone confirm if this is true?
i will be sanding it and painting MAYBE tonight, not sure yet. will get pics when i do

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
56K warning!

ok heres some pics

this is the rangers, the one closest to the shed is the project one. the one with the push bar and body lift is the 2wd thats donating the cab

8.8 and D35

brush guard(headlight peices not shown)

dayton timberline m/ts 245/85/16

some kind of decals on the fender of the 4x4

the inside of hte good cab on the 2wd that i will be using

the 4x4 cab that will be ditched

Now for the progress i made today..
started by ripping the seat up out of the floor with just my hands, not tools.

ended up busting out the sawzall and ended up with this

and at the end of the night after i got the replacement floor pans removed and body mounts un hooked and tcase shifter out

thats all i done today. will be taking off the front rad support cab mounts the next sunny day we get then ripping the cab off

and this is 2' of 2" square tubing. ill be using this to extend both my rad arms 10" each

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yeah, good progress. That cab looks worse than the one I was going to use for my race truck. Keep a close eye on the frame mounts too.
Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

the frame is now sanded and painted with rocker guard and i got the a4ld out of her and i got teh 5spd flywheel installed along with the clutch, waiting my new slave to get in so i can put in the trans an drop the cab on. im moving in a month so i gotta get her done by then.

was supposed to be picking up a set of 33s today it might be tomorrow tho, forget the brand but they are mud terrains 33x12.5 almost brand new

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my buddy is having my 86 ext cab ranger.. so im doing alot of work on her like puttin the motor together and installing the wiring harness.. he needs a sending unit for an 86 ranger 2.9 extended cab.. none of my rangers have one like his but he might be using my b2 tank and sending unit not sure yet.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hooked on to her tonight with my 94 ranger and dragged her out of the woods. she was pretty hard to drag i figured it was just cause i had her stashed out in the trees and sticks and holes and **** but after i dragged her out i forgot i had the drivers side d28 beam just sittin in there so she was draggin in all sorts kinky ways across the dirt cause where the rad arm was unbolted from the mount, i was pullin her backwards so that meant the front axle on her was being pulled towards the front of truck so the coil an everything was all out of the bucket an the drivers beam was holding up the chassis up in front of the engine crossmember lol so tomorrow when its light out ill rig it up a better way to drag her in the garage some better way and throw in the d35 and hook up the trans (swaping to 5spd) and drop the other cab on then i think im gonna have to put in the other 2.9 from my other truck
so this is what year(s) she will be when done

chassis: 86
body: 88
axles: 92
trans/tcase: 89
motor: (possibly) 88

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got the frame in the garage tonight, lifted her up with the chain hoist and let her down on jackstands and finished pulling the d28 out. got the axle outside now and gonna throw the d35 in the pan of my 94 and bring it in the garage and bolt it in tonight. it came from an explorer so im wondering how much lift im gonna get with the coils, im thinkin around an inch but thats enough to level her out. tonight im gonna go attempt to install the slave cylinder too

and a one of the 94 for shits

1 - 20 of 25 Posts