Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time here and i hope someone can help me out. The check engine light in my 94 ranger with 3.0v6 says the cam pos. sensor is bad. So i replaced the one at the front of the motor no problem. The guy at the smog shack says i replaced the wrong. That the one i need to replace is the one behind the intake manifold at the back of the motor. Ok here is my problem. The sensor is easy to remove and it cost all of $25 and just as easy to replace. The mechanic says that i need to replace the entire shaft and gear that are under the sensor and that the part is very hard to find. He of course can find and replace for $800. The only problem with the truck is a bit of bad gas mileage. I have 65,000 original miles and have never had any mechanical issues. Is it really possible that i have damaged the the shaft and gear under the sensor? Please someone help me get this figured out. Of course its the fact that i cant get smog certificate till check eng light is off. Thanks for any and all replies

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Hmmm... I highly doubt that the shaft is messed up. I would spend the $25 on the sensor and see if it solves the issue. For $800, you could get an entirely new motor. I think this is a good example of mechanics trying to sell you something you don't need. If your truck still runs bad or still has the CEL after the sensor, he may be on to something. But I highly doubt he is.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Agree with rngrdanny22

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
if you replace the sensor and the CEL is still on, just figure out how to unplug the cel light or cut the wire that leads to it.

what cel?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts