Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, as you now i have the 2wd 4" lift from rough country but latley i have benn wanting to convert to 4x4 ever since an embarassing incedent that happend a little while ago, so i was wondering if i were to get a ttb front axle from a explorer and put it on my truck, would it work with the lift i have or would i have to ditch it, cut my losses and buy a new one, or can i just strenthen the lift i have on it already.

·
Registered
984 Posts
you would have to change front cross members, the pivots are diff to the 2wd to 4wd. it would be a huge under taking

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean by cross member? like the tranny cross member or where the engine sits?

Thanks - Dustin

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The crossmember under the motor. Apparently it's quite different than the 2wd for rbv's other than the b-II. Here's a pic of an '85 b-II 4x4, best I have;

Apparently the b-II 2wd and 4x4 crossmembers are the same, unlike the other rbv's. So if your vehicle was a 2wd b-II it would be easy to change into 4x4.

Richard

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn.. so theres no way that my truck can be turned into a 4x4 with out this different crossmember? okay lets just say for shits and giggles i wanted to tear that out and put in a 4x4 one, is it possible? or is thats beast welded to the frame?

Thanks - Dustin

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
As far as I know you can do it. It's a matter of removing all the rivets that hold it on to the frame. Crawl underneath and look around, spend 1/2 hour just looking. You'll get an idea of what needs moving in order to get at the rivet heads. You also have to be able to get a drill at the holes in order to bring the hole to the right size for bolts. 7/16" are slightly to small, 1/2" are too big - you definitely have to drill the holes out to fit 1/2" in. I've heard from a reliable source that metric 12 mm is the right size. You probably would have to remove the motor [and definitely the front beams, and probably other stuff too] in order to get at the rivets and the holes. I think that you might want to buy a second ranger that is already 4x4 and put your body and motor [drivetrain] on the 'new' frame, or just fix a second one to be a bush beater, if that's where your going with this. So it is doable, but not a weekend job, IMO.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all i need to now is that its do able. lol but i was thinking of buying a 91-94 ford explorer with a 4.0l manual trans manual t case and put on the front dana 35 (i think thats what they use). so to do that while i replce the 2.3 will be good cuz ill already have the engine out any ways, and the truck cant be drivin for another 6 and a half months or so id rather do this now while i have time to do it.
so thanks alwaysFlOoReD for all the help

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If your going to the trouble of doing the d-35's and drivetrain anyway, it's probably not that much more to do the 4x4 swap. So GO FOR IT! If you have a exploder picked out, great. But a ranger will be easier to swap in because the wiring harness will be almost plug and play.

Richard

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mabey but ive heard that 91-94 explorer are pretty much plug and play for the engine part, a ranger would be pretty much the same exept everyone around here loves there ranger and sells them for alot more than an explorer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
thank you also alwaysFlOoReD. i did not have time to elaborate on my post yestersday :angel:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea thanks both you guys, ill soon be runniing in the same rank now lol

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
You say you're going with a 91-94 Explorer 4x4, what I'd do is check the frame length. I think I heard somewhere that the 91-94 Explorers were made on the same frame as the regular cab Rangers. Might actually be easier to just swap bodies!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea that would be way easier, wont i need to make body mounts and bed mounts and stuff like that? but ill measure up my teachers expo tomorrow

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
why dont you just keep the explore 4x4 and the ranger 2wd have to rides. or do the sas instead of the i beams

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i would have two rides if i was a little older and if my parents would let me, but right now i have this great truck but its 2wd, so if i can make it 4wd, there would be nothing to complain about. and yes i have thought about a dana 30 swap out of a XJ, but i just spent a **** load on my 31 and to have a sas with 31's isnt that appealing. but that doesnt mean the idea is out of my head, im considering every little suggestion that is givin to me. but ill try this, and see if it goes through.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
sounds good but remember for the amount of work it would take to make it 4x4 twin i beam just wait a lil longer and make it a sold axle bro

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i know what you mean man, mabey one day my truck will get a sas, and with a sas it will get all my other ideas but not quite yet

·
Registered
984 Posts
toss a 4.0 in it and a locker out back and drive the wheels off it. >:? then down the road with a little more seat time do the 4wd swap .and on a diff note i think ICBC would want a good look at it when you went to reup it as a 4wd ,might run in to troubles i know when i left the coast they were getting pretty bad on custom rides. i had a tricked out fiber glass bodied dune buggy. i finally quite driving it because every time i went to plate the dame thing they wanted to go over it with a fine tooth comb. more hassle than it was worth in the end. just food for thought

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you want to convert to 4x4 just trow a Dana 30 under there. Reg cab 4 banger will be fine on a Dana 30 as long as you stick with 31's or 33's. The 2wd cross member actually clears the straight axle better than the 4x4 cross member.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts