Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: OK so i started working part time at a family friends trans and auto repair shop and two days ago some one came in with a 01 ranger edge under the hood is a 4.0 with a ruff idle. we started out with the scanner to see what codes popped up and the scanner picked up three codes. code 1 and 2 where lean banks and code three was a random unknown misfire (unknown ****). so i started on plugs to look for odd marks or uneven burn nothing was really odd in the plugs but we changed them any ways but it was not the problem.

at idle the motor was really running ruff but driving it around she drove fine and hauled ass still so i keep looking around and texting some of you to get more info on problems ( jerry and superlifted thanks for the help). we finally traced a leaking sound (just sounded like a cold air intake to me) and it turns out that a vac hose was rotten and leaking. after replacing the hose the engine instantly smoothed out and test drove it for a few miles and the check engine light shut off on its own. ran the scanner and it was back to stock.

so if you guys didnt know that a VAC LEAK can causes a MISFIRE know you do

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Crazy stuff man! I've had a few IAC's go out in my time and it has caused a rough idle, but I've never had it give a misfire code.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts