Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the 351m is done in my 79 bronco, so i found an 81 bronco with a 300 i6 and 4spd near me for a very good price. body is shot but engine is supposed to be good.

i dont have the 81 donor brought home yet but hopefully should soon, i gotta call the guy again tomorrow and see when i can pick it up.
im gonna start taking the 351m/c6 out of my 79 tomorrow or saturday. shouldnt take very long to take it out since it was only a little while ago i had it out.

so i dont have anything done yet really, the engine is all unhooked and ready to come out in the 79. so it will just be a matter of a couple hours to haul her in the garage and hook the hoist on to the engine and lift it up. im gonna haul just the engine out with the hoist and drop the trans from the bottom.

i ordered a gas pedal and linkage assembly from a 77 f150 with a 300 cause mine wont work with the 300, and i ordered a Lokar 24" braided stainless throttle cable to work with it. thats all i think i really need to buy new. i will use the engine towers and mounts from the 81 and the clutch pedal assembly from the 81.
im guessing my np205 will bolt up to the 4spd that i use from the 81 right? not sure if its a np435 or t18
any input is appreciated. ill be posting up lots of pics once progress starts tomorrow or saturday. thanks for lookin

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Very interested to see this! Why are you opting for the v6 instead of rebuilding the 351m?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank man, the 351m is a boat anchor. and the 300 with a 4spd has a HUGE amount of torque, and should still get around 22mpg highway and around 18 in town. with the right mods done, which is a 4bbl manifold & edelbrock 500 carb, and a set of the later style efi exhaust manifolds which are dual manifolds compared to the one long one.

·
Registered
901 Posts
i6 bossman not v6 8)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got the engine pulled today in abotu an hour. now its just a matter of getting the donor truck home.

·
Registered
711 Posts
right on man. can't wait to see the results!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok donor truck isnt working out. looks like im rebuilding the big block.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for now im fixin the studs. but since i got the motor out and ill have the heads off, ill get the ports polished up a bit since nobody here can port them correctly like you said, and ill do head gaskets and valley pan and all other gaskets. then later ill add a 4bbl and the summit headers i showed you a while ago.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's a waste of time polishing the chambers on those heads. Won't gain you any HP or detonation resistance. The compression isn't high enough to be a factor. Only thing I would do is smooth any rough edges. Even that might not be worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I was looking forward to seeing the I-6 swap. Hopefully you could cancel your orders. Good luck in any case.

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts