Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a drive shaft from a junkyard it is 3/4 in shorter then one i had on truck seems to be running 100%better no issuses shaking vibrating or anything is it going to be safe to keep driving it or
gonna cause issues with tranny or else where thanks again for the feedback

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
How was it able to connect being shorter? Did you get the driveshaft from a Ranger?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would use a jack, jack it till the tires are just off the ground, then crawl under [being careful to put jacks under the frame] and wiggle at the front of the drive shaft. If it doesn't move any more than when the truck is not jacked up, it should be O.K. What you are trying to prevent is the shaft from dropping out if/when going over bumps at speed. 3/4" short is probably O.K.

Richard

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes everything seems engaged its came off of a 99 ranger standard cab standard tranny and my ranger is a 2002 auto tranny and has torsion suspension and is edge model everything seems to be running smooth .
100% better also used yoke from drive shaft i removed from my truck wondering if i will be ok for long run? i bought this truc around march and have already put around 1000$ in it just fine tuning it lol thanks again

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like i said inserted used drive shaft from junkyard is 3/4 shorter then old one now this morings truck seems to run lil sluggish so i pull over and tons of smoke pouring outta my rear drums both sides any help?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
The only time I've seen smoke coming from the drums is when I left the e-brake on by mistake.

Pop open the differential and see if everything looks ok. It will give you a chance to replace any old fluids also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea was v e-brake i never use it never thought to look .. used it day before when checking out my rear axle seals which are busted . how do i remove bearings from rear axle 2002 edge ranger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts