Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!... Would like a bit of advice on this upcoming project I plan on doing. Last year I picked up a mint (zero rust) 1999 Ford Ranger Sport. It currently has a 3.0L, auto (4R44-E), 7.5 rearend, 3.73 gears. It's a good truck. Picked up cheap. Had 153,000kms on it. Old man owned it and took very good care of it. I use this as a daily driver. Runs good but is massively under powered.

My plan is to swap in a 4.0L SOHC. I already have a 09 4.0L SOHC with only 23,000KMS on it. Basically new. I just finished parting out a 2001 Ford Explorer that came from the factory with a 4.0L SOHC and 5R55-E trans. I saved the Explorer instrument cluster, PCM, and engine wiring harness. Also the 8.8, 3.73 gear rearend.

Now I've done a ton of engine swaps before but never with this much electronics before.

If I install the 09 4.0L SOHC to the Explorer's 5R55-E and install it in the 1999 Ranger, using the Explorer's PCM and instrument cluster, will it be plug and play and fire up? If the PATS gives me a problem I have a local tuner that can shut the PATS off for me. I do understand that a custom tune might have to be used but was planning on having it tuned anyways. I know all the mechanical stuff will bolt right in. Some fabrication will be necessary but that is no problem for me. I used to work in a fabrication shop. It's just the electronics aspect I'm worried about.

Has anyone done a swap like this before? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Neal.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts