Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of thought a few people on the site may have seen this at one time or another. The problem is that after almost 2 years of consistent driving and after an initial rebuild, 2nd gear suddenly let loose while accelerating, only 8,000 miles approximately. Wasn't gunning the throttle at the time, but was under the impression that mustang T5 trannies were supposed to be a little more reliable than this, should be rated for 300 ft lbs of torque. When it was rebuilt, I had just pulled it out of the 86 mustang gt with a worn 2nd gear synchro, synchronizer and gear. Ended up replacing all the synchros as well as the synchronizer with the gear along with all the bearings included with the rebuild kit. 1st gear seems to be unaffected as well as 3rd to 5th and reverse, but apparently the shift fork shouldn't have anything to do with the problem since 1st is on the synchronizer as 2nd. I'm just in the beginning stage of removing the 5.0 to get to the tranny but would appreciate any input before it gets disassembled to reveal the real culprit.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thought the 2nd gear problem would be solved by going through a parts supplier in el paso. Turns out that either the guy on the other end isn't looking at the gear and saying yeah, its absolutely a genuine solid second gear.

This is what came out,

This is what they say is a suitable substitute,

This is what a little extra added horsepower turns it into.

Wish I had better luck, but if this turns out to be the only solution left, i'll probably install the weak gear, drive it safely, and look at getting a Tremec as soon as i can afford it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure hope so, i might have a temp solution until the right gear shows up, keeping the fingers crossed. Miss driving the truck around. My wife wanted to use the car and i got stuck with the minivan for a bit :-[. Don't have to complain about the headroom.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another update...

Why consider purchasing a Tremec when the 2nd gear replacement ordered from D&L Transmission in NY sent me the same gear, also fits the Tremec T5. Wow, what a revelation, should have had the light bulb come on when the guy on the other end said that Tremec bought out Borg Warner. Well the gear (forged) showed up today and the casting on the back has a Tremec logo as well. Guess I'll keep running the truck with the modified original gear until it needs to be replaced.
Nuff said, case closed...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts