Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im having trouble on how to find differences on 28 and 31 spline axle, ive looked on the trs axle section but couldnt find what i was looking for, could any of you tell me how to spot the difference or what to do to find the differences.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I believe the axle tubes are a little fatter on the 31-spline. Other than that, I'm pretty sure they look almost identical.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
what about the tags on the rear end. cant you decode the tags to get that info

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Well, I think all the tag is going to tell you is the gear ratio. You wouldn't be able to tell by the ratio as 4.10's came in 28-spline and 31-spline.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think it would be safe to say that if the axle has disc brakes, then it is a 31-spline axle. If it only has drums, then it is most likely a 28-spline. I think the only exception would be if the owner did a disc brake swap on there 28-spline.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
what the axle from? i believe only level 2 rangers came with 31 spline axles, and explorers had 31 spline axles

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea it was a sport but the whole thing was molested people here just go there and rip everything apart not thinking that some one will need that part that they just destroyed and every explorer from 95 - 01, the rear axles were missing, every one lol, i guess that my luck lol

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
It's the same around here. Junkyards are sitting on a goldmine and don't realize it... I'd be selling parts on eBay left and right... LOL

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
lol some of the yards around here do that other treat every car like gold lol

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
28 splines are standard for Rangers from ford if its the 8.8 inch diff. 28 splined ranger axles will always have the drums. Explorers will always have 31 slined axles with dics brakes. Difference in the 28 spline and the 31 spline is the size of them. Perople who do V8 supercharged swaps in vehicles with a 28 spline will soon find that the pile of blown gears dropping out the rear end means you should upgrade to the much beefier 8.8 inch 31 spline axle. Unless you are doing a V8 swap, major forced induction, or taking more than 300 ft-lbs through the drivetrain the 31 is overkill. But if a 31 spline is in an axle from an explorer that has disc brakes, limited slip, and 4.10 gears then its all worth it.

My basic concept with it all is if you have less than 300 ft-lbs then a 28 is plenty strong. Any more power then that you probably should beef it up to a 31 spline.

NOTE: Just do not mix 31 splined parts into a 28 spline and vice versa. It wont fit.

Hope my rant of splines is of help!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
^^^ I agree, I've always felt the 28 spline is plenty strong for most applications. Run it until you bust it, then change.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Definitely had enough confidence in the 7.5" with drums with the V8. Held up just fine doing burnouts with the bigger tires, turned out the u-joint blew out before the rear end. Converting over to the Explorer rear was great advice given for anyone using the more powerful setup, made a huge difference with the tracloc. Have taken more notice with other setups, friend of mine from work has a 28 spline axle with upgraded 4.10 gears in his 04 mustang as well as most of the f150's. Maybe i went a little overkill, not!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Explorer's came with drum brakes also, so they probably were 28 spline, don't expect all exploders to have discs, and 31 spline. Plus you'll to have to change brake prop. valve if you swap discs to the rear from drums, or you'll get rear brake lockup happening,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts